1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Van Pelt rips Maryland students for lack of support

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Devin, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin Member

"I was as angry....I still am," he began. "I may say things that get me into trouble. I just don't care. When I turned on the television and I saw that wall where the students are supposed to sit and it looked like the Longwood game, all I wondered is what happened to my university.

"And I know what happened: They started letting in a lot more smart people that are really driven about their futures, and you guys had to study last night, and good for you. We had class back when I went to school, too. And we went to games. Because part of a college experience is a well-rounded experience, and going to athletic games is a big part of that.

"And our students right now at Maryland have this attitude where they can't be bothered to go. Like the football games, they come late and leave early. There was a football game this fall where it was about 50-to-Idontevenknow against Wake Forest, and the student section was empty. I think it was 'hot' that day, or something.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsport....l?hpid=newswell

2. sportbook

sportbook Member

Kids aren't going to high school games anymore either. They aren't going to necessarily start when they arrive at college.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Van Pelt woulda' HATED going to school at Pitt then.

4. vicd

vicd Active Member

Clearly they need a new stadium in a better location.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I, for one, never considered going to class to be a core part of my college experience. I got SVP's back on this one.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ha. Agreed. Although in the end I did end up going to more classes than sporting events and parties.

Just barely.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I like Fridge but he is running their fathers offense. Maryland needs to bring in someone like Mike Leach to generate some excitement in the program.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You work at ESPN! Nothing's gonna get you in trouble... unless you sexually harass someone. And even then... <veiledmiketiricoreference>

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So Van Pelt thinks it has to do kids today being serious and wanting to study too much? Seriously, did I read that right?

Umm, no, I think it probably has more to do with the internet, facebook, X-boxes, I--Pods, 400 satellite channels and the fact that the party outside the stadium is more fun than the game itself. Today's kids have so many other damn diversions and distractions it's hard to get as caught up in how old State U is doing.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Mizzou games I've seen this year are also pretty sparsely attended.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He's upset because students weren't packed in for Maryland-Wake football? Puhleeze. I went to Indiana U, where "come late leave early" to football wasn't a disgrace -- heck, at least you're there at some point.

He also doesn't know how much the tickets cost. I know they're not free, and times have changed for many students from the days when you'd just sign up for tickets when you signed up for classes and mom and dad would pick up the tab.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"And I know what happened: They started letting in a lot more smart people that are really driven about their futures,

You can bet your ass attendance will never be a problem in the SEC.

Draft saved Draft deleted