1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Van Pelt in a message board flame war

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I like SVP, but I never would have imagined him being in a flame war on a Terps board ...

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2007/09/on_message_boards_scott_van_pe.html#more

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No good can ever come of a journalist posting under his real name on a fan board.

Even if he think he's doing it for the right reasons, it invariably blows up in the journalist's face.

READ them? Scavenge some bits of info here and there, sure. But climb down into the cesspool, nosirree sir. ::)

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

SVP has done this before, as noted in the Bog post. I'm not a member of the Blue-White Illustrated board, but saw the Logan-El exchanges... and Van Pelt gained a lot of respect from the PSU faithful by posting under his own name to explain his point of view.

On the other hand, if he's going to post as a fan on a fan site, yeah, he might want to think up a different screen name.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

On a slightly different note, not too long ago there was a post on the fan board of a college I covered ripping me for an error in one of my stories. Thing is, the desk inserted that error. It was really bad and made me look stupid -- but the desk did it. I never wanted so badly to register with the site, go on-line and defend myself.

But I didn't.

Because the same thing kept ringing through the back of my mind: No good can come of this.

I just let it pass. Looking back, I'm glad I did.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if it is wise to post on a board under your own name which reflects on your company - when the views you are expressing are your own. Admire the honesty, but there is such a thing as too honest for your own good.

6. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

In smaller communities where the fans have a repor with the journalists covering the teams, I think fan board interaction is appropriate. But it depends on the topic. Don't jump in the middle of two hay seeds getting in on over who's the best JV soccer player in the area.

7. Just pointing this out to be a jerk, but it's "rapport." ;D

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

and "hayseeds." :)

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I think we can all chip in and help out Mr. Van Pelt, but pointing out some key phrases he can toss back at those who would dast speak against him.

For example:
    Douchenozzle
    Asshat

please add at will.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Fuckstick is good too.

11. DKIA

DKIA Member

I've always been partial to Buttplug for some unknown reason.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ms. Slappy learned fucktard from this site... and she says it's not educational

Draft saved Draft deleted