1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's top WR list

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rube, Mar 27, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't sleep on me Doc. I'm sneaky.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fuckabunchamoss {/raiderfan}

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Sorry, I'd take Moss over any receiver in history except Rice. And by time he's done, he's going to own most of the record book so it'll be a debate between the two for No. 1. Moss changes the game like no other receiver in the league.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Great call on Alworth. Judging solely from the old NFL Films clips, he seemed ahead of his time. He just looked more athletic than everyone else.

Also, my inner fanboy thinks Lynn Swann deserves a nod, if only for his leaping ability and performances in big games.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you can't even begin to compare that cocksucker with rice. not even close.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MossRa00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RiceJe00.htm

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If he only cared half the time and still outperformed everyone who played his position but Rice, then he ought to be ranked No. 2. Obviously, some would rather go with people who got the most out of their ability during their careers -- a Don Hutson or Marvin Harrison, for example -- but if Moss is better even if he doesn't care half the time, he's better, period.

What Moss did this past season was remarkable, but the guy could always do that. He dominated the first six years in the league. Then one average season and two poor ones made him a forgotten man. I'm not going to hold him to Rice's standard, because let's face it, no one's going to approach it. But what Moss has done with Daunte Culpepper -- not Montana, not Young, Culpepper -- throwing him the ball most of his career is something else.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

now wait one god damn minute. culpepper threw the fuck out of the deep ball, and montana didn't have that kind of arm. rice did much more after he made a catch than moss ever has.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But Montana was a helluva lot more accurate and far less turnover-prone, which could have prevented more yards and more touchdowns for Moss. And I believe that if you could somehow plug Moss into that West Coast offense the Niners had going, he would have shed a lot of would-be tacklers and broken some big plays for touchdowns.

Given his talent, Moss would post huge numbers no matter what style offense. But that's not how the Vikings, Raiders or Patriots chose to use Moss.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My list (after very little thought)....

1. Rice
    2. Moss
    3. Irvin
    4. Owens
    5. Harrison

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

completion percentages:
    DC - 63.8
    JM - 63.2

most yards in a season:
    DC - 4,717
    JM - 3,944

most TD passes in a season:
    DC - 39
    JM - 31

average yards per game for a career:
    DC - 243.7
    JM - 211.2

started 16 games in a season, # of times:
    DC - 3
    JM - 2

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Are you going to start a thread about how Culpepper ought to be rated the No. 1 quarterback of all-time, not Montana?

Fumbles
    Culpepper -- 93
    Montana -- 53 (in 100 more games, no less)

Interceptions
    Culpepper -- 94 (3.2 percent INT ratio)
    Montana -- 139 (2.6 percent INT ratio)

12. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I don't know if Moss will want to play until he is a stinkin' carcass the way Rice did. But if he does he is going to challenge all of Rice's records. He'll probably shatter the TD record regardless.

Draft saved Draft deleted