1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Top 20 NFL Coaches Ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RubberSoul1979, May 24, 2013.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Next thing I do is ask one of my moderator friends to deal with you, child.
    Don't message me, don't post me.
    I assure you I will be fine with that arrangement.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry, you don't get to decide who posts when on the public threads. One more concept that seems beyond your grasp.

Regarding the PMs, stop stalking me there and you won't ever get one from me again.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

This guy is retarded. There's no other conclusion to make.
    I have challenged you to compare credentials. You demur.
    Your serve, asswipe.

4. outofplace

Hey, if you want to out yourself on the anonymous, public message board, be my guest.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

I deserve a better stalker than this, is all I'm saying.

6. outofplace

Yeah, I figured you'd back down with some snide remark. Pointing out when you say something ridiculous isn't stalking. When you send me two and three PMs at a time while I try to ignore you, that is a bit more stalkerish. In the future, please try to learn what words mean before you try to use them.

Edit: Oh, now I see what's going on. You're trying to pick a fight on the politics thread and having no luck, so you come after me here.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

In general, I think Shanahan is a bit overrated as a coach, but I think you might be underestimating how hard it is to win at such a "pedestrian" rate.

Of guys, who have coached 130 or more games (essentially 8 seasons in the modern era), that .572 winning percentage is 26th best of all time and is actually a bit better than Parcells, Noll, Levy, Ditka, Knox, Jimmy Johnson and Coughlin.

I'm not sure if Shanahan should be on this list of Top 20 of all time, but I don't think it's really that outrageous.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Dungy is one of the most overrated coaches of the last 20 years... Not a bad coach by any stretch, but he shouldn't be anywhere close to a top 20 of all-time list. He's there because he's beloved.

It's doesn't say a lot about a guy's ability as a coach when he's fired and replaced and the coach who replaces him wins a title his first year there... I guarantee you Gruden isn't on this list.

Dungy got a title in Indianapolis. He also had to beat one of his former minions to do it, but I don't think too many people would disagree that the Colts dramatically underachieved under Dungy.

If people are complaining about Shanahan being on the list (and there is a lot of arguments to support that he shouldn't be) but he's night and day better than Dungy.

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

agree that Dungy is not a top 20 all-time coach...that being said I think what he did as a coach is overlooked. When he took over in Tampa in 1996, they had not had a winning seasons since 1982. He almost immediately turned them into a playoff team and then a legit contender. When he took over Indianapolis, the colts were coming off a losing season and had been in decline for two years since the breakout 1999 season.

Now, yes, in both places the talent was built for him. However, I think he is slightly underrated.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Look at the rebuilding jobs Schottenheimer has done. He's definitely turned around teams a lot worse off than Dungy did. I guarantee you he's not on this list.

Dungy "turned around" the Colts by inheriting Peyton Manning. He did a great job turning around the Buccaneers, but he couldn't get them over the top.

Not a bad coach, but not on the same level as the other guys who will be on here...

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But he won a Super Bowl, a stat that is probably overvalued when putting together a list like this.

And that raises the question, who is the worst coach to win a Super Bowl? And who is the worst coach to win multiple Super Bowls?

Draft saved Draft deleted