1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Top 20 NFL Coaches Ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RubberSoul1979, May 24, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm assuming Landy had some input into those drafts. I know Noll did. The tougher part for Noll is years of mediocrity at the end as he stubbornly refused to change with the game. That said, I still think both belong in the top 10.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Gil Brandt was a total fraud.
    Well-known fact around the league.

3. outofplace

And I'm sure you have all kinds of links to back that up. Please, do share.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

People I know.
    Things I have heard while covering the game..
    We're not all shut-ins like you.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You still have to coach 'em up after you draft them.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Sid Gillman should be on this list somewhere. He changed the game of football by introducing and refining the vertical passing game that made the AFL what it was, and established a coaching tree of disciples that is absolutely astounding.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Parcells won with four teams, all were in the shitter when he got there. Only winning Super Bowls with the Giants hurts him, but the guy turned the laughingstock of the NFL into a Super Bowl team in four years.

8. outofplace

So no, you can't back it up in any way that makes it worth listening to you. Just your word. That's really funny that you think that anybody here would take that seriously.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know what criteria they are using, but I assume winning, impact on the game and rings are the big three.
    In many ways I'd put Belichick in a different class since he's done in the post-cap era and has a lot of say in personnel. If he sticks around and wins with a qb other than Brady, he might be at the top.
    Call me a heathen, but is it possible that Lombardi is overrated due to his name being on the trophy and being the the first "best coach" in the Super Bowl era?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He won 74 percent of his games and five championships in 10 years. I think he's rated pretty fairly.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

You've posted 33,000 times on this site.
    And you're still regarded a joke.
    Don't lecture me about being taken seriously.

12. outofplace

True, I didn't manage to make a complete joke of myself in 1,014 posts like you did. Congratulations on doing it so quickly.

It's an anonymous message board, fart boy. Claiming you know something without being able to back it up doesn't work. I thought even you might be able to figure that out, but I guess I overestimated you.

Draft saved Draft deleted