1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Top 100 MLB Players of All Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Dec 11, 2012.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I agree with that partially. I think Wagner, Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, Dickey... would have faired just about the same, though there would have been a like number of African American ball players that would have compared favorably. But what Bonds did is enhance his ability to a geometric, if not exponential, degree.
    He is different, like Lance Amrstrong. Even though many were doing it in baseball, Bonds was an expert-professional cheater in a land of amateurs and semi-pros. From 2001-2004 (age 36-39) Bonds played as if he were competing against D1 college kids.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Still laughing to the point of tears over Old Hoss' reviews.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Morgan seems way too high... I tried to guess the remaining 25 yesterday and I think he was the only one I missed. Great player, but way too high...

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Joe Morgan was a great 2B, right behind Rogers Hornsby (and possibly Alomar), but no way he's No. 20 overall.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Joe Dimaggio doesn't crack the top 20? This list is bullshit.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hilariously, Morgan, who rages on and on and on about the evils of sabermetrics, was probably the first player whose historical standing was dramatically boosted by it (them?).

7. Double Down

I can see both sides of this. On one hand, he finished nearly 800 hits shy of 3,000. (He's 173th all time on the hits list.) He *only* hit 361 home runs. (74th all time.) If you're into WAR (/makes wanking motion) he's 66th all time in career WAR. His career average (.325) is 42nd all time.

Now, all that said, he's 12th all time in career OPS (.977). He's 10th all time in career slugging. (.577). He won 3 MVPs, and was an All-Star (back when that sort of meant something) every single year of his 13-year career. He was a very good center fielder. He played in 10 World Series and won nine of them.

There is a lot of myth-making that surrounds DiMaggio. Hemingway, Talese, Marilyn Monroe, Paul Simon, "The Yankee Clipper." All that is a factor in the way we view him. He was an all-time great player, no doubt. But I think as a baseball player, I think they've probably got him ranked about right.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But he was Mr Coffee. That alone should have gotten him into the top 10.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He also missed three years in the prime of his career serving in WWII. He's well over 400 homers and close to 3,000 hits otherwise.

And he's sure as shit more deserving of the Top 20 than Morgan, Pujols, ARod and Rickey.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Love that ESPN has set up site so you can quickly go through all 125 names on list fast. No need to roll over to a new page with each click.

11. Double Down

I understand the WWII stuff, but the point of the list seems to be to look at what the players actually accomplished without any qualifiers. I'll give you Henderson, who simply wasn't the hitter DiMaggio was. Morgan wasn't (quite) the hitter DiMaggio was either, but he played second base, so it's kind of hard to say he doesn't deserve a bit of an extra boost in the rankings for being the best at a weak-hitting position.

If you take performance enhancers out of the equation (and that's the point of the list), I think it's pretty hard to say that DiMaggio was better than either Pujols or Rodriguez.

Draft saved Draft deleted