1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Tom Jackson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jan 17, 2011.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

C'Mon man, this thread is Jacked Up.

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Not sure it matters. He either said it to cover his butt because he was so wrong, or he said it because it's true. Either way, it's disappointing. Maybe it's because he's always sitting next to Berman, but I always found him to be one of the more tolerable folks on ESPN's Sunday NFL desk.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

in that case, this is incredibly brutal. hard to believe i've yet to read a mushnick or raissman-type call him out on this. tsk, tsk, t-jack.

4. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Every day that goes by, I pat myself on the back for watching less and less ESPN. Other than the times when they show an actual competition, there's very little point in watching their endless hours of SportsCenter that consist of fawning, drooling and verbal handjobs.

5. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

You guys realize this is all B.S. right? They are told what to say on the shows. I am only a tiny bit joking. I know people that have interned at ESPN and worked on shows like NFL Tonight, Sportscenter ... etc. and they all said ESPN does tell their analysts what way to go on topics to make sure both sides are picked.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Berman has done this before wearing the turban on SportsCenter, predicting scores like 5-2 and 17-π.

I think Tom Jackson is pretty far from the worst of his kind.

7. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

I remember watching Berman's segments, thinking, "What is this guy smoking to get a 5-2 football game?"

Cut ESPN from my life entirely, and it hasn't really changed my life all that much.

8. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Some one else with experience interviewing him might have a different read, but he's one of the brighter guys I've had the pleasure of speaking with. He doesn't veer off on tangents in his answers, and is actually a really welcoming guy.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And today, Jackson says...

He was being honest on Sunday and <i>lied</i> on Monday - earnestly, mind you - and he's sorry any of it happened:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2011-01-18-tom-jackson-contradiction-radio_N.htm

<i>In an interview Tuesday, Jackson says he really thought the Pats would win big — "and thought it could have been worse" — and that he's "not arrogant enough to think I can affect the outcomes."

So why the radio comments? "I was shocked and stunned by Bart's comments, that they were directed at me. ... So in an effort to make an excuse for the comments, I made comments I shouldn't have."

Meaning that if Jackson picks the Jets to win this Sunday, we shouldn't assume he's just trying to psych up the Pittsburgh Steelers: "Any time I've made a pick on TV, or anywhere else, I've believed in those comments."</i>

I can tell you right now - he's lying his ass off. Sunday and Tuesday, that is. Monday, he told the truth.

Draft saved Draft deleted