1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Short Attention Span Theatre

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BigRed, May 8, 2007.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Tuned into SportsCenter for the first time in some time this morning, and while the usual staples were the same (bad puns, highlights, corporate branding), one thing was different:
    The "SportsCenter Rundown" which runs down the side of the screen, topic-by-topic, a la PTI and the Fox National Sports Report highlight show.
    As if that isn't bad enough, or clear enough, they have a pop-up at the bottom of the screen during every story - which ALSO tells you what's next.
    Has our society become this ADD-afflicted that ESPN saw the need to bombard us like this?
    I think it's ridiculous - and another reason why I'll keep watching ESPN News, where they keep it simple and straight-forward.

2. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Yeah, this Rundown is driving me nuts, mostly because I think my TV's too small and the picture is way too tiny. It's unnecessary.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i prefer ESPNews too but i'm not sure i'd call the screen 'simple and straight-forward.' between the crawl on the bottom and the gutter on the right side it's getting pretty damn crowded.

4. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I was referring more to the delivery of the anchors and lack of filler, but I see what you mean.... I actually don't mind the crawl, though. I can get updated quickly on sports that way.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I saw a media column move on the wire last night that decried this move as well. There is a place for this, but with all the bells and whistles they've put on SC, it's become excessive.

6. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I'm waiting for them to tattoo "ESPN" on the anchor's foreheads. Should be any day now.

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070507greenstein,1,2819566.column?coll=cs-home-utility
    This might be the one you saw. I agree....

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You are correct sir.

9. statrat

statrat Member

I can't even read the "Rundown" because the text is too small. Perhaps if upgraded to a 10 foot wide projection screen I could. I seriously think I burst a vein in my eye just trying to get my morning sports news today.

10. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

It's a little more bearable on the HD channel because they put the rundown in the bar to the right of the screen that normally has "ESPNHD" when non-HD highlights are being shown. Still, it's pretty obnoxious.

11. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

It works on PTI. It's out of place, here, but it fits in with ESPN's continuing desire to appeal to the embryo-to-18 months demographic.

12. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I like it best when they show highlight clips at speeds of one clip per nanosecond. My teenaged son flips through the channels slower.

Draft saved Draft deleted