1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Sam Alipour on Miguel Cabrera

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 24, 2013.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I don't mind the first person so much if it works with the story and isn't done all the time. To me it's kind of like knowing what's obscene; you just know if it is, or isn't. Same with first person working in a story. You either think the writer including himself fits or it doesn't.

Of course, the comments below Alipour's story are "how dare you ask those questions!" The questions about Cabrera's drinking should have been asked. Good for him for asking.

As for more first person in ESPN the Mag stories, as was asked in another thread, they do things differently. The first letter of that company's name says it all. It's not the Journalism Sports Programming Network.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

How do you guys handle the "send questions before interview" request? Do you decline doing so, do you go through it, do you lose the interview?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

In my nearly 10 years as a reporter, including more than four covering a national sport, I was never asked to see the questions before the interview. I was often asked if they could see the story before it went to print, which I never agreed to. But I don't remember anyone asking specifically about the questions.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I never sent questions before an interview and never sent a story for someone to read before publication. Anyone who asked was told no. More than one person refused to talk because of it but I never lost any sleep over it.

5. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

That's fair. I enjoyed it. Didn't know much about Miggy.

Draft saved Draft deleted