1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Ray Rice story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 19, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe that's evidence that the "experts" are full of shit and in bed with the league and its teams.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

No, I think it's more evidence how one incident can completely destroy a franchise's impeccable reputation.

3. MisterCreosote

Or, that "reputation" was complete horseshit that a lot of people were complicit in peddling. Just like they peddled the "REDEMPTION!!!" horseshit with Ray Lewis.

4. RecoveringJournalist

Well, I think those ratings are largely based on wins, losses, doing well in the draft, low coaching turnover and having an owner who doesn't act like Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder or Mark Davis. Based on that, the Ravens have been as good as anyone over the last 15 years.

5. MisterCreosote

I guess it is true, then, that the secret of happiness is low expectations.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't see how The Steelers and The Giants would not be on that list of
    the elite

7. RecoveringJournalist

Both should be right there.

IMO, the top four would be New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay and Baltimore. The second group would be the NY Giants, San Francisco. New Orleans, Seattle and Philly would probably have to be there too.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Baltimore had five guys arrested this off-season, including Ray Rice.
    The league can't have it both ways, talking about success and "character men" simultaneously.
    The Ravens, and the Irsay Colts for many years before them, were always a low-class outfit.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And don't forget Bryant Mckinnie's birthday party last year when a stripper named
    Sweet Pea smacked Jacoby Jones over the head with a bottle.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/09/23/baltimore-ravins-jacoby-jones-party-bus-brawl-fight-washington-dc/

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, those 49ers sure are a well-run organization these days.

11. RecoveringJournalist

Well, like I said, it's based more on wins, losses, ownership, and having an owner who doesn't try to make it all about him. It was interesting to see Seattle and SF on that list because they were both pretty poorly run franchises until the current regimes took over.

The Packers, Steelers and Patriots are often held up as the model franchises. The Patriots had a guy kill someone. The Packers had a guy who beat up his fiancee when the team gave her a necklace after they won the Super Bowl. They also had Ahman Green, who was Ray Rice times five several years ago. The Steelers had Big Ben's incident.

There isn't a team in the league that hasn't had its share of off-the-field problems.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

To listen to and read some of the talk/writing out here -- by people that I personally think know some stuff about the inner workings and have the track record to prove it -- the 49ers are about to come apart at the seams.

Draft saved Draft deleted