1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Ray Rice story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's the string of tweets that follow that makes for comic relief. It includes @WillMcAvoy ...

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Outstanding work by both reporters. This is what it's all about.
    I have always fucking hated the Baltimore Ravens and I see that's been justified.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sort of says something when your response to something like this, even after mucking it up by your own admission countless times, is: We'll explain everything as soon as we're done focusing on the Browns.

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

What's the difference between an error and an inaccuracy? Or are they the same thing and the Ravens are trying to throw as many buzz words for Ravens fans and others to discount the reporting?

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

How do we know he wasn't one of the bad guys all along. His complete lack of remorse in the immediate moments after the punch tells me this was not isolated. Maybe it does only come out when he is intoxicated, but I doubt it.

And great job by the reporters. Can't wait to hear the explanation once the Ravens get everyone on the same page. Anything that makes the Ravens and the league look bad is OK by me at this point.

And I posted this on the Rice thread, but might get more eyeballs here. Good look back at the league's standard approach to these incidents.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/20/sports/football/in-domestic-violence-cases-nfl-has-a-history-of-lenience.html

6. 3_Octave_Fart

There is also a redemptiveness in ESPN here that probably shouldn't go unnoticed.
    The toy dog bit back.
    Nice to see.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

About those unnamed sources and stuff.

http://stevebuttry.wordpress.com/2014/09/21/espns-ray-rice-reporting-made-responsible-use-of-unnamed-sources/

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, any prediction regarding:

1. What day the Ravens respond to the ESPN article

B. How they respond

3. What they say

You have to figure it will be early in the week. As it gets later in the week, they'll be "too focused" on next Sunday's game to respond.

Does the owner finally come out and hold a press conference, or do they put out a statement from a PR team and/or lawyer?

They need to dispute specifics in the article to have any credibility, but I think ESPN has them dead to rights, and if they lie, they will be busted. So, I'm hoping they lie.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

They'll be consulting their most famous player.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The coward owner, president and GM haven't yet put themselves in felt of the cameras where they might slip up on their lies. I highly doubt they will do it now.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's part of what's unbelievable to me.

And, again, the whole culture of football is supposed to be about strength, and leadership. These guys are cowards, who have been hiding behind Jenay Rice for as long as they could.

They put Harbaugh out there, and he deserves no credit for how he handled it either, but at least he faced questions.

I agree they probably won't come out and speak publicly.

So, we're looking at a statement released by a PR guy and/or lawyer.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

I still can't believe there hasn't been one firing over this.
    Well, other than Rice himself, but that was more of a shunning, a sending-away.

Draft saved Draft deleted