1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Ray Rice story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hat tip to one of our esteemed competitors, some fine work here. Thoughts?

I figure this is being discussed in one Rice thread or another, but also thought it deserved a thread all its own

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11551518/how-ray-rice-scandal-unfolded-baltimore-ravens-roger-goodell-nfl

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It really is hard to reconcile the intoxicated Ray Rice with the Ray Rice the Ravens thought they knew. What a shame. The night of drinking apparently turned Rice from one of the good guys in the NFL into one of bad guys.

It's also really hard to understand how Janay Parker could have married Rice a week after this incident. Not saying couldn't ever have done so, but to do it right in the midst of this, and so soon after it, just seems such a mistake. You have to wonder if this is the only time such an incident has taken place over the course of their relationship.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's a solid story that purports Rice owned up to the knockout from the very beginning and the Ravens brass knew about that knockout in detail even if they didn't see the video and lobbied Goodell to levy a light punishment.

I would think Rice is angry and pissed as hell, and is now prepared to take a flamethrower to the Ravens.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Incredible reporting. Would love to know more about the process...how many people they spoke to, etc.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Did this story land while Goodell was at the podium? I sure hope so.

LaCanfora tweeted that the Ravens called an emergency meeting.

Great story. Makes you think about what else has gone on. I'd love to get truth serum in the Pats' security guys and find out what they knew about Aaron Hernandez over the years.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

No, LTL, broke about 545 ET.

7. LongTimeListener

Ah, so Rog had some nice light reading on the way to Westchester. That's OK too.

8. LongTimeListener

Ravens:

"The ESPN.com ‘Outside the Lines’ article contains numerous errors, inaccuracies, false assumptions and, perhaps, misunderstandings. The Ravens will address all of these next week in Baltimore after our trip to Cleveland for Sunday’s game against the Browns."

So give 'em a few days to get crisis management team in place and put some double-talk out there.

If there was anything wrong, it should be pretty easy to point to right now and clear it up.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Exactly, exactly, exactly.

No one ever learns anything, do they? They have a game against the Browns, LTL don't you know? And Coach Paterno will only be answering football questions about Nebraska this evening.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Best response ever.

I love even that they allowed that some of the what's wrong with the article might be attributed to misunderstandings. Sure, we did what you wrote, but you misunderstood our intentions.

11. LongTimeListener

This is fantastic.

Patrick Hruby ‏@patrick_hruby 14h
    File a lawsuit or GTFO RT @Ravens: Statement on ESPN article: pic.twitter.com/SCrvMVtQ2t

12. LongTimeListener

Meanwhile Peter King's studio buddy Mike Florio is concerned. Very concerned.

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk · 16h
    The ESPN story on the Ravens is excellent, but I'd love to know the story behind the story on the precise timing of its publication.

Draft saved Draft deleted