1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's new transparency in online fixes?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Is this new practice for ESPN? Reading their college basketball top 25 preview, and I see the phrase "with all four off the the NBA" in the UNC preview. Harmless wrong-word mistake, but ESPN makes a point to insert a parenthetical (Correction: "to") instead of just fixing, where all they're missing is a non-sarcastic writethru font. Has anyone seen this elsewhere?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8568353/experts-make-predictions-game-plans-top-25-ncb-teams-espn-magazine

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That is nice for a fact error but really over the top for a typo. That type of policy quickly can lower staff morale.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can't see it because I'm not an insider.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree completely.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I can't see it either, and I have Insider. This appears to have been a since-rectified mistake by someone at ESPN.com.

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Can't see it because not an insider, but is it possible that was just a line-editing comment that snuck through into the final version?

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just meant I couldn't see the story. I only got like three sentences of it.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Right. I could see the story, but that correction did not exist.

Draft saved Draft deleted