1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's new ombudsman: Robert Lipsyte

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

This pairing will be like watching Emily Blunt mate with Ron Jeremy.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would watch Emily Blunt mate with anyone.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They still working on that policy about conflict of interest? The response regarding the Craig James? How about the use of "according to sources"?

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You wouldn't watch Emily Blunt mate with Brad Arnold.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

And the fact that if ESPN doesn't have a contract to televise a major sport, it's relegated to 10 seconds in Sportscenter? (coughcough hockey coughcough)

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

For the life of me, I don't understand why ESPN bothers with this. Management doesn't seem terribly concerned with the opinions of the ombudsman. If I'm an ESPN employee, I don't give a single shit what the ombudsman thinks, and view it strictly as an annoyance.

Other than to feed material to Deadspin. what's the point?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Vince Doria giggled

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Media ombudspersons are not there to accomplish change. They are there to offer a means through which management can avoid public responses to criticism. Hey, don't bother me! Our ombudsman is on the case. I'll issue my boilerplate PR crap to him/her.
    Lipsyte is one of the most distinguished sportswriters ever. He also has such a jaundiced view of sports as a business I question if he'll be able to function in this position. I mean, to him, ESPN itself is a problem. He's liable to be a mite too meta.

9. Joe Lapointe

Joe Lapointe Member

Lipsyte writes about sports the way Krugman writes about economics. This could be good.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Brady also serves as ESPN's public editor, or ombudsman, and he's staring down the deadline of a couple of pieces. But he can't back off on the Pittsburgh scouting. He had taken the Incline to the top of Mount Washington on Wednesday for some pictures and later was heading out to meet someone at Sharp Edge, a Pittsburgh beer bar. He noted that these days people keep wanting to meet him in places with great beer lists.

Rieder: Making a splash in digital local news

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

So Lipsyte stepped down quietly or moved on?

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

With Lipsyte the position became a term appointment. The original article stated that he was to leave at the end of 2014.

Draft saved Draft deleted