1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's "Mayne Street"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bullwinkle, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Where did it come from?

When is it going away?

Why is it featured on ESPN.com's home page? 

???

I know Kenny has done "Mayne Event," which has been somewhat funny at times, but this was just awful. Probably the worst thing I've ever seen on ESPN, and that's saying something. It is essentially a 5-minute TV show about nothing ... which, I admit, isn't unlike ESPN's other "original" programming.

I can't wait for the day when it's just "SPN".

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You might not want to read the other thread about it, where everyone pretty much agreed it was quite funny.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

There's no way it's funny. No way. How?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The first one where Mayne cannot get the proper ending to the late Sportscenter is very good.

Plus, the Soprano takeoff is gold. Especially if you liked the last (greatest in tv history) five minutes of the show.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The last one is lame. I do agree on that.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

First one was OK. I could actually see that happening. The second one is lame. It seems like the "wunderkid" is trying to be Ryan from "The Office". Also, as one post on ESPN said, making fun of a sponsor was done years ago in "Wayne's World."

The second episode was the centerpiece on ESPN.com for a while earlier today. That's just bad news judgment.

7. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I'll have the find the other thread, because Mayne is hilarious and more of him is most definitely a good thing.

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I wonder if Mayne got the idea for this from Jacksonville.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/61773/

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

No, I don't think his schtick is all that funny. He seems like an elitist at times, as does the network.
    Bob Ley's one of the only good one on there from a TV/talent standpoint.
    He and Steve Levy. And maybe a handful of others.

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

That was my Mayne reason for posting. With all the resources ESPN has, it should be able to put a centerpiece together that's more relevant than Kenny trotting out the same, boring schtick ...
    One day, you get a fabulous Wright Thompson E-Ticket. The next? ...  ???

11. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

Kenny Mayne is hilarious. Don't see anything wrong with these websites using new ways to entertain their readers. imagine that concept?

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah, but Noah's Arcade sucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted