1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Maria Taylor asks an interesting question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I always felt the tiniest bit bad for a guy like Reilly, who goes to ESPN and is immediately overshadowed by a dude who watches games on TV and writes about going to Vegas.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Don't feel too old, Playthrough. He left SI in 08.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

At that point in their respective careers, the dude who watched games on tv was better.

Reilly stole every dollar he made at ESPN. Completely worthless.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Point is, if Reilly has known he could steal dollars and do that, he probably would have and been fine at it.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I really enjoy Katie Nolan's on-air personality. She is creative (the shot-for-shot "Lemonade" send-up of Deflategate was impressive) and seems unusually "real." The GQ feature went into some depth about how the long period on Fox's "bench" affected her psychologically, and the remorse she felt by initially attempting to be the "cool girl" stereotype to get her foot into the door.

I fear that, at ESPN or Fox, she has been something of a "unitasker," to borrow from the kitchen parlance, sort of the ESPN kitchen potato masher. She's funny and outspoken, but I've not seen her do much in the way of interviews and I don't think she has much in the way of journalistic "chops." I hope, during her time at ESPN, she can develop into a more sustainable role. I mean, Bill Simmons had a fraction of the raw materials Nolan has at the same point, and his creative and producing abilities made a significant impact with "30 for 30," etc.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Klatt is a blithering idiot. Earlier this season he posted a tirade against the AP poll in which he said (paraphrasing) that "college football" needs to do away with the AP poll. What is this "college football" of which he spoke? And even if there was come central authority that was "college football" how did he think it was going to stop the AP from conducting a poll?
    He also ranted about AP voters, claiming there was no accountability and claimed they operated in anonymity. How long has it been since the names, emails and social media addresses of AP voters has been public? 5-6 years at least?

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

When the GameDay job came open, I always thought ESPN should promote Holly Rowe if they were serious about hiring the best candidate
    I figured they'd hire a babe
    Enter Maria Taylor, who looks great in leather pants

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Volleyball player.

If you ever wanted to turn heads in college, date a volleyball player.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Think Rich Eisen has done pretty well. Harold Reynolds at MLB channel also.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Eisen was never a "number 1" at ESPN. NFL made him the cornerstone of their coverage. That was a clear move up. If, say, Stuart Scott had left ESPN for NFL in 2003 and maintained the success that Eisen has had then, yes, I'd consider that.

MLB's numbers are pretty miniscule. When Reynolds was on ESPN, I knew he was on ESPN. I had no idea where he was working until your post.

Draft saved Draft deleted