1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's latest perversion of journalistic ethics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scribbled_Notz, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Apparently, ESPN has had David Cornwell - Reggie Bush's attorney - on the payroll as a legal analyst for several months. He's been in studio multiple times talking about the Mitchell report, etc. The problem with this, he's also been a major, major player in this whole Reggie Bush saga...stimulating an FBI investigation and planting stories with...you guessed it...ESPN.

All of this didn't really seem to be a huge deal until the new Bush book came out this week and ESPN basically ignored it. In fact, browsing their archives, it looks like they have ignored the story altogether for the last few months, despite Bush being implicated to NCAA investigators, news of the book, tapes, etc.

This seals it for me. ESPN is the biggest whore in the industry. And one of the major problems we have in the ethical erosion in sports coverage.

http://thebiglead.com/?p=4145

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Are these your words, or The Big Lead's? Sorry, I won't click that link.

I do find it hilarious that The Big Lead would have an entry talking about someone else's journalistic ethics.

3. Kinda like Hannibal Lecter hosting a healthy cooking show.

4. The Big Lead had an item about it, but I confirmed it before posting. ESPN does have Cornwell on the payroll. And if you google his name with Reggie Bush, you'll see he's been a big player in all of this. Not to mention plenty of other screwed up stories like Shawne Merriman's positive steroid test and Ricky Williams and his drug problems. Basically, they just went out and hired a newsmaker and put him on the set. What happens when he's making news while he's still working for them? And more importantly, what does it say when they are burying news that concerns his biggest client?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Oh, I believe you. And I agree with you.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

welcome to earth, scribbled. yes, espn has major ethical issues. most of us have known this for about a decade, ever since the leader became the monster that it is.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Above clicking on The Big Lead, but not above clicking on Scoop Jackson's latest column and ripping it just because it was written by Scoop Jackson.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Since about the time Berman ruptured his first corset.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No rational person cares about substantive reporting done by ESPN. Tell me the score, show me the highlights and let me watch the press conferences. Other than that, anything that ESPN puts on the air is crap and anyone who thinks it is anything else is too stupid to take seriously.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

More nice work by TBL...

This is a book by one of the best investigative reporters of the last two decades.

It should be noted that ESPN also ignored the Jordan book put out a few years back as well...

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Slurp, slurp, slurp.

Mizzou, you missed a spot.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yes he did, but it sure was nice of you to lick it all up

Draft saved Draft deleted