1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Howard Bryant (allegedly) pulls a Jay Mariotti

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The biggest question that jumped out at me was:

If five witnesses thought you were choking your wife, what were you actually doing to her?

2. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

I know both Howard Bryant and Veronique. I believe them, stand with them, and have no doubt he will be exonerated. This will, however, take time, and I believe all the questions being asked will be answered.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

massaging her stiff neck?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope he's innocent.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd bet that in some places still, if you're black and you're wife's white, you don't have to be doing much of anything to her.

Reading between the lines on the story, it seems the assault on a police officer and resisting arrest are the charges they like to bring when you don't shut up and do exactly what the cops say, which is easier said than done, depending on how the cops are acting.

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Funny, I was raised to do exactly what cops tell you to do regardless of how they're acting.

I've followed that edict to the letter boyh in my youth and as an adult and never had an issue when dealing with law enforcement, whether the cop in question was of my race or another.

Are there dick cops? Of course. There are idiots in every profession, including journalists who don't like to be told what to do and then overreact.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Lemme guess: Your race is Caucasian.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If this were an athlete in such a situation, we wouldn't be nearly as eager to assume something nefarious about the cops or witnesses. It's natural; on nhlplayers.com, a player known to many who was accused of assault would likely receive similar support. Something far short of an assault on a woman could have happened; I don't know and I doubt any of us do.

And the woman refuting the alleged actions...don't assume that such would stop the case. In many cases, things are out of the victim's hands legally once the complaint is made. Her refutation, tho, would have the prosecution heavily prepping those witnesses to be convincing.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am not suggesting anything nefarious about the cops. I am just saying those charges are what they like to load you up with if you piss them off. That's just facts.

I guess I am suggesting something possibly nefarious about the onlookers. But that's how I roll.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Or they were swung at. And to assume anything about Bryant, the cops or the witnesses at this point is way premature.

11. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Yes. And I'm sure you'll explain to me how my race prohibits me from thoroughly/adequately understanding the situation we're discussing.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Let's see.

I don't doubt for a second that cops like to trump up resisting arrest charges when they feel like it.

Knowing that, anyone who puts up any resistance at all to an arrest is an idiot who should know better.

I don't place any faith in eyewitness accounts.

I absolutely believe that a black man with a white woman gets treated differently.

I'm pretty sure that in most areas of the country, the cops will make an arrest on any domestic assault call, no matter how loudly the victim says nothing happened.

The fact that he and she both proclaim his innocence doesn't particularly persuade me.

In total, I'm not sure who's side that puts me on.

Draft saved Draft deleted