1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Howard Bryant (allegedly) pulls a Jay Mariotti

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

ESPN would not have run a story that lengthy if it wasn't keeping him or trying as hard as it can to keep him.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure what the simplest explanation is. But yeah, I took a lot of steps I don't know to be true.

I do know those kind of steps do occur. I am not friends with that many black guys, yet I still somehow know a disproportionate number who have ended up harassed by cops, and in cuffs in the back of a police car over things that wouldn't get me a second look.

Anyone playing judge and jury or comparing this to Marriotti. ... Marriotti pled guilty. Bryant pleaded not guilty, and has vigorously asserted his innocence -- what you'd expect someone who is innocent to do (even if lots of guilty people do too). His version is completely at odds with the cops. But it is equally as plausible. And the victim of the alleged crime, is protesting his innocence as loudly as he is.

This is a fairly potent quote:

"This is all so unfair," Veronique Bryant said. "There was no investigation. The police made assumptions about my husband that weren't true. I was never abused or in fear of Howard on that day or any other day. I wasn't running from him or trying to get away from him. The police weren't listening to me and they attacked him with violence with our 6-year-old watching."

Does that mean he's not guilty? Nope. But I suspect the truth is closer to his version of events. Just intuition, I guess.

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Pulling out the race card makes him look a lot worse. Sad that he and his wife went that route, not to mention saying the cop was being aggressive while his son was watching. Yeah, now we believe you. Puhlease.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Because the police are never wrong.

5. Mizzougrad96

Did he play the race card or did his lawyer?

The denial from his wife was a strong one. Sadly, it means nothing when it comes to Bryant's innocence.

It does mean that he almost certainly will not be convicted.

6. Mizzougrad96

WFW.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's never about race.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Anyone who wouldn't use the "race card" post-O.J. is a moron.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So the "race card" is merely tactical? Rhetorical? There's no actual difference in the way police treat white people and people of color?

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Me, too. I've become pretty friendly with Howard over the years. I guess you never know but he just doesn't seem like the typical kind of person (aggressive, macho) who gets into these situations. In fact, he always seems like kind of a gentle person. I'm definitely going to wait for the dust to settle on this one.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Overall, yes, the criminal justice system treats black people differently than white people.

12. Ragu's take is a fair one.

We don't know what happened, but this business of "pulling the race card" dismisses the fact that in too many cases, it's not a card or a trick, but a frustrating reality.

People wonder what the big deal about diversity on news staffs is sometimes. This is an example of it. If you come to this type of story with the perspective that a black person claiming racist behavior by a police officer -- especially a well-respected black man with no known history of violence -- is simply pulling the "race card" then you are lacking in fairness and knowledge.

It doesn't mean you can assume his story to be true. But it's certainly a valid possibility that it's what happened and not something that should just draw a roll of the eyes. And as Ragu said, the comments from his wife are strong and reasonable. Could she be covering up? Sure. But they don't read that way.

I've also found it interesting that from the beginning it was claimed "five witnesses saw a man" ... not "five witnesses identified Bryant."

I hope it's not true. And what shockey said is correct -- we don't know anyone all that well when it comes down to it. But my limited knowledge of Bryant would allow me to believe his story here. The bitter irony is the man has done excellent work on sports and race.

Draft saved Draft deleted