1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Howard Bryant (allegedly) pulls a Jay Mariotti

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/28/howard-bryant-arrested-espn_n_828927.html

Like Mariotti, I expect Bryant to disappear from the ESPN landscape as quietly as possible.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Damn.

Here's hoping it's not true. I always liked the guy...

3. Ditto. Extremely talented writer and a good guy. Crap.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Ooh, I don't think Bryant will get the Mariotti/Salisbury treatment. He'll stay.

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I donno. ESPN absolutely HATES scandals giving a black mark to its brand. Mariotti is one example, as well as Steve Phillips. If Bryant isn't canned, he will probably have to take a leave of absence.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

i certainly hope this isn't true. but if it is, we have yet another example of how little we reat truly know about some people.

and i know there are some who take the position that, 'so-and-so IS a great guy and this is just more proof that ALL OF US can be provoked to violence.'

um, no, not ALL of us can. MOST of us know when to walk away. or that under NO circumstances (short of self-defense) should a man act violently towards a woman or child. the 'ALL OF US...' defense is b.s., a rationalization for the a--holes who actually do react this way.

again, i hope this turns out to be untrue; i've always been impressed by howard's on-the-air/in-the-workplace persona. but that in and of itself does not mean someone is incapable of such an act.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is going to send the new ombudsmen into knots. Poynter's ivory tower is pretty much built on "gotcha" inconsistencies and a head count of minority staffing, and one of those two staples is going to have to lose.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Depends on what you can do for the network.

Mariotti was a main 'face' of Around The Horn but I also imagine his demeanor didn't help after his public troubles.

If Bryant is a good guy to get along with, I bet he stays.

Tirico is the constant example of doing wrong and still, not only keeping a gig, but getting promoted through and through. Even a lower-profile guy like Gary Miller urinated off a hotel balcony onto people on the street and kept his job.

I doubt Bryant will go the way of Mariotti, Salisbury, Jason Jackson, Harold Reynolds.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If Bryant stays, Mariotti has a lawsuit. No?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What Tirico did was not good, but still not near what is being alleged against Bryant. Gary Miller peeing in the wrong place is eight light-years from these allegations.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How so?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

no

Draft saved Draft deleted