1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's DUMBEST STAT EVER

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Apr 16, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Suicide squeeze and flea flicker.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Interesting.

Please rewrite the following sentences to comply with your style:

"The Phillies took a 3-2 lead in the top of the ninth inning when Jimmy Rollins scored on a suicide squeeze by Chase Utley."

"The Colts' Super Bowl III loss to the Jets will forever be immortalized by one play in particular: the flea-flicker in which Baltimore quarterback Earl Morrall never saw a wide-open Jimmy Orr and instead threw an interception into double coverage."

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Suicide squeeze and flea fdlicker are not even close to walk-off (fill in the blank).

Walk-off anything is just a bad cliche (not that there are any good ones) especially when, two days before Marco Scutaro's "walk-off home run" off Rivera, some ESPN moron said the A's won in the 11th Friday night on "Bobby Kielty's (or was it Crosby's?) walk-off grounder."

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

"The Phillies took a 3-2 lead in the top of the ninth inning when Jimmy Rollins squeezed home Chase Utley from third."

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Rollins squeezed Utley? That'd been funny to see.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I was trying to think between "bunted home" or "squeezed home", and "bunted home" doesn't carry the same meaning without saying all of it.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

They're kinky fucks, those Phillie guys.

8. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I heard someone squeezed John Kruk extra hard. (ducks)

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Once you pop, you can't stop

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

And with that, SportsJournalists.com Man Nation quits searching for rulers and doubles over in pain.

I'd like to write a story for SC just to fuck with her. (have fun with that quote monkeys!!!)

SC'S TOWN--One batter after a failed suicide squeeze, Joe Blow hit a walk-off homer to lead Podunk High to a 12-11 win over Nowhere High Tuesday.

Blow's flair for the dramatic is well-known: Last fall, as the QB of Podunk's football team, he threw a flea-flicker Hail Mary touchdown pass as time expired to give Podunk a 21-19 win over Yourmomsmells High in the state semis. And he took an alley-oop and slammed it home as time expired in Podunk's 67-66 win over West Beverly in December. Blow also eagled the par-5 ninth hole at Podunk CC last summer.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not precise. And too wordy (all squeezes are done with a runner on third).

There is a safety squeeze and a suicide squeeze.

"Suicide" tells the reader that Utley was running with the pitch and was a --- warning, jargon coming! --- dead duck had Rollins not made contact with the pitch.

We all have certain terms we may not like. But personal biases are simply not a good enough reason to change terminology that has a clear meaning.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

My only nitpick is that an end around in football is all too often called a reverse, when most of the time it's not. The rest of the jargon complaints though, suicide squeezes and flea flickers and walk-offs is just you guys complaining for the sake of doing so. There's nothing wrong with those words, which simply add a little color or else define a play in terms that everyone recognizes. You don't have to use most of those terms, but it definitely doesn't hurt. And if I were writing baseball gamers and a walk-off happened, I'd use that term every time just to fuck with some of you.

Draft saved Draft deleted