1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's double standard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beardown, Jan 28, 2008.

1. beardown

beardown Member

Seems ESPN doesn't have a problem throwing stones at Kelly Tilghman (deserved) but you can bet there's no Outside the Lines episode on Dana Jacobson's hate speech. Makes it real tough not to see the hypocritical nature of the WWL

From the Christian Defense Coalition:
    "So, at ESPN an employee using the term 'F--k Jesus' or a similar expression in the workplace does not merit discipline or suspension. As we have said all along, if Ms. Jacobson had said 'F--k Mohammed,' or used the 'N' word or the term 'fa--ot' in the workplace, she would have been fired immediately.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder... Tirico got suspended for three months for harassment. If another anchor at the time had tried this same thing would he have been fired?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

wasn't Jacobson suspended?

I wish the media watchdogs would focus on some of the stuff that gets said on-air on some radio shows.

Quite an impressive crew for the ALL-ESPN Disciplinary Team: Jacobsen, Tirico, Reynolds, Gary Miller, who am I forgetting?

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

They also addressed Jacobsen on the SportsCenters I saw that next day.

rb

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How did you miss the eight-page thread on this topic?

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

(A) She was suspended, and (B) she wasn't in the workplace.

Good to see you're on top of the situation, oh persecuted one.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, it's not just ESPN that has the double standard. If you look at the other thread, a statement that is remarkably offensive (made by an idiot swilling vodka) was compared to the comedy of Sarah Silverman. Shortly thereafter, we get the "Jeebus" references, the priests-are-pedophiles shots, and the "what's the big deal" crowd.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

ESPN has long reeked of bias and hypocracy. As long as they continue to shove Tiger Woods, Derek Jeter, Kobe Bryant and Peyton Manning down my throat, I will not play.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Media watchdogs focus on nothing useful. Ever. Yet. Does Poynter ever get really pissed off? Or does it just gently point, and let the course of business continue?

That's next though. the Internet will give rise to media critiques like nobody can imagine in the next decade.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I would say appearing at an ESPN Roast for ESPN talent would qualify as the workplace.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

She made a drunken idiot of herself and those pictures will live forever. Lucky her.

I'm not going to fault ESPN for not turning it into a Bob Ley-moderated town hall meeting.

12. txscoop

txscoop Member

What did Gary Miller do??

Draft saved Draft deleted