1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Chad Ford NBA draft grades

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jay Sherman, Jun 27, 2008.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Here ya go:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/story?id=1573414

He actually gave the Pistons an A+ for picking Darko and Carlos Delfino, whom he compares to Michael Finley. He also gave the Knicks an A- for picking Michael Sweetney, Macej Lampe and Slavko Vranes. There's lots of other stuff in there that looks ridiculous now, five years later. In fairness, he also called some things right, saying the Suns got a steal by getting Leandro Barbosa in a draft day trade from the Spurs and that Josh Howard would turn out to be a late first-round gem for the Mavs. It's just that he said similar things about a lot of guys who never panned out. It just proves that nobody knows what they're talking about one day after the draft.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This made me laugh. Hindsight can be one nasty bitch.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm a fellow Terps homer who thinks Gist was lucky to be drafted at all.

During a year when he was supposed to provide senior leadership, he only did so in brief spurts. Late in the season, he fell in love with the 3-pointer, leaving post up duties to Vasquez. Hell, Vasquez got in his grill about his lack of leadership.

That's why I'm down on Gist. Perhaps Gregg Popovich can light a fire under his ass in a way that Gary Williams couldn't.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Gist got drafted?!?! WTF?!?!?! He was fucking awful.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Second round by San Antonio.

I wouldn't have drafted him in the 12th round if there were 12 rounds.

6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Oh, come on. He's a super athletic 3-4 who isn't big enough for a 4 but isn't quick enough for a 3. Kid put up 16 pts, 8 rebs and 2 blocks a game, earning himself the second most votes for 2nd team All-ACC. He wasn't a scrub. He had fourteen games in which he had at least 3 blocks.

If you want to LOL at someone getting drafted, how about Patrick Ewing Jr.?

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

Under no circumstances do you want DeAndre Jordan, unless he's playing for free.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I give the Mavs a big fat F for not trying to better their draft lot.

It signals to me a big red flag that Cuban has lost interest and already has a foot in the Cubs owner's box.

Draft saved Draft deleted