1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Britt McHenry is Not Nice....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Apr 16, 2015.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I do not know Britt. A good friend of mine worked very closely with her early in her career -- pre-ESPN -- and suffice it to say, his experience with her differed from Moddy's. Tow Yard Britt was very much the Britt he remembered.

Certainly this sort of thing could have a significant impact on your personality. Fingers crossed that she recovers from this and comes out the other side a decent human being.

wicked likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They might or might not, depends on what is happening and where it is. MRI will give a far more detailed image of soft tissues though.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My mom’s friend (little old lady is 5’ maybe) had a softball sized tumor (amazing) taken out of her brain area so there is the possibility of full recovery.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

So you think it's possible she's had this tumor for at least five years?

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yep. Brain tumors can impact behavior. And it’s weird and scary.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think Dr. Starman was diagnosing absence of brain, not absence of cancer in said brain.

Vombatus likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My neighbor has been dealing with one for longer than that.

I forget what type it is. It's not cancerous, but it slowly grows. She's had multiple brain surgeries over the past 15 years. Each time, they remove it, do chemo, do radiation and it comes back. It might grow a millimeter per year. But due to it, she's now completely deaf, can't control the left side of her face (to the point that she can't even blink with that, so she has to glue weights to her eyelid to keep it closed so the eye won't dry out).

Anyway ... based on her experience, I don't rule much out when it comes to brain tumors. We've had too many "Yay, she's cured!" moments, followed by "It's back" a year or so later.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's a chance we are both right - did not know her well or hang out with her. She could have been a terror to those she worked with and pleasant to those she saw periodically out in the field. Or my interactions were on good days.

Whatever, I wouldn't wish this on anyone and I hope she comes out of it OK.

BurnsWhenIPee and PCLoadLetter like this.
  9. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Interesting. Neil Peart, who was tremendously more famous than Britt McHenry, managed to keep his brain cancer under wraps for 3+ years. There were people who knew, and none said anything to anyone. Funny how respect works.

poindexter likes this.
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Maybe he had no coordination, timing, or rhythm and it was a 50-year brain tumor that changed all that.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Sam Kean, who did an awesome book on the periodic table, also has a good one on brains. Yes, usually if you want an explanation for behavior, psychology is more likely to provide some answers. But damage to the brain can literally change behavior. (And obviously, you can "see" examples of it with football / NFL players.)

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Maybe she got hit by Vontaze Burfict.

poindexter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted