1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Brad Edwards projects Boise State will be No. 1 in the BCS next week

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When did Boise beat the No. 1 team in the country?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I didn't say they did. To elaborate -- usually the top seeds in the NCAA tournament are big schools from the big conferences. Sure you get a Jameer Nelson-led St. Joe's team every once in a while, but most of the time it's the top dawgs in the top conferences. Every time Boise has played a ranked team from a big conference they pull off a win. I suppose you can hold that game at Georgia several years back against them, but that seems more like an aberration. But all they do is win their slate of games, including games against ranked teams, and all they're told is that they're not invited.

Thus, to riff off the Butler comparison, if the college regular season IS the playoff as some BCS loving morons try to argue, then I think my comparison is sort of apt.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Except beating Virginia Tech and Oregon State and nobody else is not the same as Butler having to play, after the first round, real teams to get to the national title and survive and advance.

I'd love to put Boise in the SEC or even Big Ten and see how they'd do if they had to follow up their big win over Michigan with a trip to Iowa, then a trip to Michigan State, then Ohio State, the Penn State --- it is much tougher to do than to just get up one week, or two weeks a year, in a game that is clearly your Super Bowl.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'd love Ohio State to get there and get bitch-slapped again.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Except that's not possible so all we get to go by is who they do play. And championship matchups are decided somewhere other than on the field.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

But they at least had the chance to get there by their own volition.
    Not having to worry about which computer ranked them higher or where they were in Sagarin's mix.
    College football needs, I'd say, an 8- or 12- team tourney, with zero byes.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A slight exaggeration, not to mention a simplification.

Boise State has had exactly as many unbeaten seasons (2) that resulted in zero national title game appearances as . . . Auburn.

But to hear the teeth-gnashing and hand-wringing, you'd think they've gone through five unbeaten seasons in a row, getting passed over in favor of one- and two-loss teams every year.

And they likely won't get snubbed this year.

So what's the problem?

The complaint was, "They start out too low in the polls and can't climb over everyone."

Well, they started No. 3.

And they are set to be No. 1 in the BCS.

So what's the problem?

Are we now going to have to hear 2 months of "Well, just wait till the final BCS poll is released. They'll get screwed SOMEHOW. I just know it!"

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If they get "screwed" it won't be because of some conspiracy. It will be because their schedule is too weak. Just like Auburn in '04.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

A 12 team tourney "with zero byes"? Yeah, that makes sense.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

8 or 16, I should have said. Good catch.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nah, three-way B.C.S. title game

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

New rule in this round of the BCS. If the Rose Bowl gives up the Pac-10 or Big Ten champion to the title game and there is a non-BCS team that has qualified for a BCS title game, the Granddaddy has to take the non-BCS team. So you could see Boise State, TCU or Utah in the Arroyo Seco at 2 p.m. Jan. 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted