1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Brad Edwards projects Boise State will be No. 1 in the BCS next week

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 11, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't care who makes the title game, as long as it's not Ohio State.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't care who makes the title game as long as it's Boise State and TCU. :D

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Let's say there are three unbeatens at the end of regular season:

Oregon
    Winner of Big 12 title game between Nebraska and Oklahoma
    Boise State

Which team do you think should not be in the title game and why?

All criteria must be based on this season only.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As I've said here before, think your worries are over, there, as of this
    very Saturday.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I will never never never never never understand the "abandon the running game" mentality.

You do whatever gives you the best chance to score --- period --- until you simply do not have time to score that way anymore.

And that time NEVER comes before the fourth quarter.

There really is not that much difference in time. Running plays do go out of bounds and get first downs --- all of which stops the clock. Passing plays do get completed --- which keeps the clock moving.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nebraska, if it does win, because Oklahoma might be the only ranked opponent it beats. Oklahoma State and Mizzou might not be ranked by the time we reach conference championship games, Texas has dropped out and the Huskers don't have OU during the regular season.

Oregon, on the other hand, would have run through a much deeper Pac-10. And Boise State might actually end up playing three ranked opponents by season's end -- VaTech could still march to the BCS bowl, Oregon State gave the Broncos and TCU a nice numbers bump last weekend by winning at Arizona, and Nevada's beaten a Cal team that gave Arizona fits and will be bowling.

7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Looking at these numbers, I'm kind of surprised not just that Boise is No. 1, but the distance between it and Oregon. I also am surprised TCU is No. 3 and that it isn't too far back.

That said, Boise's numbers surely will go down as the season concludes and it wouldn't surprise me if a few teams leapfrog it in the polls if they stay undefeated. At Nevada will be tough, but nothing else is even comes close to keeping the Broncos' numbers up.

TCU on the other hand is likely in great shape if it goes undefeated, especially if there is only one other undefeated at the end of the year. If they win at Utah, which will be a pretty tough task, and also beat Air Force, which is climbing in the polls, that puts the Frogs with a pretty solid resume.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

If Ohio State and Oregon win out and are 1 and 2 in the BCS, does the Rose Bowl committee commit mass suicide?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Either that or they screw all the at-large teams by inviting the Big 10 & Pac 10 runners-up.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Boise State, TCU and Utah are all the Butlers of college football.

Unfortunately, at least Butler had to get on a little bit of a lucky run and beat a few teams to get to the national title game.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

At least Butler got that shot. All Boise State does is win their opportunities. It'd be kind of like Butler winning a sweet 16 game against the top seed and then being told they were done anyway, and that the top seed was advancing.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

That won't be an issue in the Big 10 since Michigan State can go undefeated.

Draft saved Draft deleted