1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Brad Edwards projects Boise State will be No. 1 in the BCS next week

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Never said Lattimore was a better player, period. Simply said Lattimore was the better running back Saturday. There is a difference.

Alabama probably has two losses right now if Arkansas has a Lattimore to help close the game.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The truth of the matter is that the SEC is so brutal in this year and most years that running the table is next to impossible.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Brutal? The East Division is a steaming pile of shit. Georgia, Kentucky, Vandy and UT are dogshit. UF has no offense and until South Carolina rolls out a season that isn't 7-6 it is still South Carolina.

4. mb

mb Active Member

Unless Auburn or LSU run the table (and neither is happening), the SEC is out of the national title game picture, barring mass chaos.

And I'm not sure the SEC has a team good enough to finish with just one loss this year.

/promise to change my tune if the chickens run the table
    //knows it won't happen in my lifetime

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yep.

All this does is give the anti-BCS folks false ammo for the argument that the system is rigged to keep the little guy down, conveniently ignoring the fact that if a team's schedule is front-loaded the SOS has nowhere to go but down. Which is exactly what will happen the SOS of Boise (and a lot of BCS conference teams as well but you won't hear anybody make that point).

That said, Boise does still have Nevada on its schedule and if the Wolf Pack keep winning Boise should get a bump from that game if they're able to win it. It will also be interesting to see if TCU's SOS surpasses Boise's. Utah should still be a Top 10 team when the Frogs play them.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The new (post 1992) SEC has always shared the wealth among its members and championed the merits/accomplishments of all 12 whenever some school does something new.
    When you develop an entity like what the SEC is now, you will be filthy rich but you won't always be able to have someone in the NCAA title game. Not while carrying 2 losses.
    National organizers will always find a way to push you out of the title picture with two or more losses.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, it's happened twice since 1992.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'd love to see every major conference winner with two losses and Boise State along with TCU/Utah go undefeated. Somehow I'm guessing the mid-majors would still be left out.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It likely is true, but it means nothing. It is only because of the strength of schedule computer calculation for the first six weeks. With much stronger second half of season schedules, Ohio State and Oregon's BCS rating will easily pass Boise's before season's end.

The only hope Boise/TCU have for getting in the title game is if the Buckeyes or Ducks lose (and, even then, Oklahoma, Nebraska or the SEC champ may get the nod ahead of them). This doesn't change that.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but 1995 Florida, 1998 Tennessee, 2004 Auburn and 2009 Alabama have all gotten through the regular season and SEC championship game undefeated since Bama did it in 1992. Florida got smashed by Nebraska in the Fiesta Bowl, Tennessee and Alabama went on to win the national championship, and we all know what happened to Auburn.

(Auburn was also 11-0 after the regular season in 1993, but was on probation and not eligible for the SEC title game).

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? Tennessee is simply horrible, Georgia is awful, this is the worst Florida team since the Zook era, Ole Miss is losing at home to frickin Jacksonville State, Vandy/UK are still Vandy/UK, and LSU is as bad as any 6-0 BCS team you'll ever see (that LSU/Tennessee fiasco was one of the most incompetently played games, by both teams, I've ever seen).

My impression is the SEC took a BIG step down this year. The "death march" excuse won't fly this time.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if there are any poll voters out there, but I'm curious how they view their vote.
    A) The best team right now?
    B) The team that has played the best to this point in the season (factoring sked strength)?
    C) Who will be the best team at the end of the year?
    D) Most deserving team?
    E) Some/all of the above?

I realize that programmers DO have all these things, but I also think there is good value in looking at the perspective of a computer that has no memory of history before this season, doesn't live in any region of the country, or any regional or personal bias, that doesn't hear a crowd roar or see highlights only judges scores.

Draft saved Draft deleted