1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's "BottomLine"

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ThatGuy, Mar 10, 2009.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

MLB: Phillies 5, Dodgers 2. I passed the writing test! I'm hired!

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That may be true. It's just a ballpark indicator of one's sports knowledge, which is important, because you don't always have time to look up every single thing.

It's like if you were applying for a news job and couldn't name the secretary of state, speaker of the house and at least three Supreme Court justices.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, Antonin Scalia, John Roberts and John David Souter (yes I know he's retiring!)

I'm hired?!

Wait, what?

4. lm0406910

lm0406910 New Member

I agree, never at ESPN would they put something up with it being of the top of someones head. That stuff gets researched to the extreme. I think those test are to weed out those that think ESPN is for nothing but a bunch of fantasy people putting out stats.

5. Lions Suck

Lions Suck New Member

It doesn't suprise me ESPN would think they are so incredible that they can call their applicants at 8 p.m. on a Saturday night and expect them to be patiently waiting by the phone. Pompous bastards are single handidly ruining sports. Of course I am biased. I'd cover school board meetings in Alaska rather than have to tell people I was connected to ESPN in any way, shape or form.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

They were quite patient with me. We exchanged phone calls and emails before finally connecting. I don't think anyone is expecting anyone to be sitting by the phone indefinitely.

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

The score was 7-2, but thanks for playing.

8. Meggs

Meggs New Member

i worked this job for about 8 months before leaving a few months ago. if you want actual info about the job instead of people bitching about how terrible ESPN is, shoot me an email or PM.

it wasn't the greatest job in the world, but it wasn't the worst either. you love sports, don't mind working odd night/weekend hours (not missing anything in hartford area, anyways) and don't have to support a family on the salary, it could be worth it.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was walking into the bar. Had to sit in the car for 10 minutes and talk to the guy before I went in for dinner with my girlfriend.

Draft saved Draft deleted