1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's "BottomLine"

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ThatGuy, Mar 10, 2009.

1. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Member

ESPN, Voorhees, NJ
    Passionate about professional team sports?
    Consider turning your passion into a CAREER!

ESPN, the worldwide leader in sports, is looking for people with diverse backgrounds, education, experience, and elite-level knowledge of professional team sports.
    Consider some of these exciting opportunities…
    • Real-time scoring and statistics for pro and college
    sports, including Next-Level statistics
    • Writing, editing, and managing headline bulletins in
    support of ESPN's "BottomLine"
    • Researchers ensuring accuracy of live news-and-information for shows such as “SportsCenter”

There are opportunities for all levels of experience, from entry level to seasoned professional.

If you are interested in an internship or full-time position, we’d love to hear from you!

Send your resume, phone number, and a description of your sports knowledge to:
    espndata@espn.com

Link:

http://jobs.lostremote.com/job/107babfd6591f9a66af9c14bed929e83/?d=1&source=site_home

2. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

ESPN has an entity in south Jersey near Philly??

3. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Member

Maybe you have to be 'made' into the family? 8) ..sorry

4. NESportsGuy

NESportsGuy New Member

Any clue what the pay range would be on this one? Sounds somewhat interesting.

5. seravaf

seravaf New Member

I would kill myself.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Funny. Just got through the process of applying for a position that sounded very much like this one. Did the phone interviews,the sports knowledge questionnaire, etc. About a month ago, got a two sentence email saying they had eliminated that position (with a job reference number).

Maybe they reconsidered.

I'm questioning whether the pay and/or amount of work would be enough to live off, however.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Interviewed for a similar position for 9 months. Tests, interviews etc... then I got a call a month ago. Hiring freeze. Thanks ass holes.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I cannot imagine that job paying anything worth a shit.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A large portion of the compensation is non-monetary, i.e. the right to say you work for ESPN and impress people dumb enough to be impressed by it.

Otherwise, yeah...

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So it's basically like an internship, eh? OK, fine when I was 25.

Reminds me of a post I saw recently for what seemed like a great job: SID for a college ice hockey team, along with a few other sports. Read all through the job posting, got semi-excited. Got to the last line: $11,500 for 10 months, no benefits. Aw, shit!!

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Since when do ESPN job listings require exclaimation points?

12. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

This sounds a lot like Ticker when the WWL had a hand in it. $7 an hour to start, but the cachet of saying you worked for them. And if you asked for more money, an exec would take you into his office, show you a folder bulging with resumes and remind you where your place was.

"We have hundreds who want to work here if you don't," sounds vaguely like "There are children in [insert third-world country here] would do anything to have those vegetables you're not eating."

Draft saved Draft deleted