1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Bob Ley retiring

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jun 26, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As I mentioned on the soccer thread, a huge presence in the advancement of the game here.

He also was a good sport came over to say hello to a bunch of us at a Springsteen concert who were chanting “outside the lines” at him.

Liut likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So he's been gone since October and announces the retirement now for it to count as 40 years? That's some weak sauce. Congrats on a great career though - I imagine a book by Ley on ESPN would be pretty interesting. Seemed to have the smallest ego of anyone in Bristol.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The only guy who never had to do an embarrassing commercial, or mortgage his reputation, at the WWL. Last of his breed. I worked at Suburban Cablevision in East Orange, NJ, where Ley cut his teeth, and his work ethic and relationship with other employees was about what you'd expect: sterling and above board.

bpoindexter, Vombatus and Liut like this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I saw the tweet this morning on the bus into town. When I got back home, didn't see a topic here or in Sports and News, so ...

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Disagree on the first statement. Think he wanted to try out a break and see if retirement fit him. If anyone alive had earned it in this industry, it was Ley. If he had "retired," then announced that "he was back," he would get blasted, too. Can't win that game of "gotcha" ... and Ley is about the last person on Earth who was seeking attention.

In a "look at me" and "schtick" network and era, he was a steadying influence. Didn't stir pots, didn't play the hot take game and didn't throw crap against the wall to see what stuck. He was substance for a network that has concerned itself far too much with style and flash.

One of the few TV sorts which I made a point to watch. Jeremy Schaap and Ryan Smith have some Pacific Ocean-sized shoes to fill.

Liut, PaperClip529, Dog8Cats and 3 others like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Fair enough - I figured the "health" mention in the announcement was in regard to the leave. EDIT - he may have had a family member or other thing occupying his attention. I always wonder if people like Ley, Costas and Berman need a "grand retirement" announcement, just to let people know there is a reason they aren't on as much. I figure someone like Ley should absolutely still be a part of the soccer coverage and chime in on Outside whenever he feels like it. I'm guessing Costas won't be back on NBC anytime soon after slamming the door on the way out.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Utmost respect for the man. Hope he enjoys his retirement.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Ran into him coming out of the pisser at Grand Central Terminal once. Always regret not asking, "How's it hanging, Bob?"

Liut likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A sports biz reporter yesterday said Ley was deeply affected by the latest round of ESPN layoffs, which hit some of his OTL crew. He wouldn't be the first in the media world to see that go down and say "screw it, I'm done."

Vombatus likes this.
  12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Having briefly worked at the WWL, I can honestly say that Mr. Ley was REVERED in the newsroom. Dude was pure gravitas - even though he was as unassuming and normal-guy as it gets. They'll miss him there ... more than they know.

rb

Vombatus and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted