1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Black Power & SigR Idiocy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Re: ESPN's Black Power Idiocy

Scant knowledge and forceful opinions are a bad mix when you want to be taken seriously. Add in a serious dose of victimhood complex, and you've got no chance, man. Oh, and "I don't rely on facts" and "I rely on concepts" means "I'm a bullshit artist."

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Nor do you rely on perspective. It's like the autism thread where you found a pebble of sand in your shoe and thought you had been to the ocean. You bring bizarre arguments to the table and offer nothing to propel them except the wind of your breath, which you somehow deem worthy of discussion.

I am not a high-post guy around here, so please stop with the talk of discrimination based on number. The thing I've noted about this place is that while, yes, there are a few morons, if you bring something to the table and back it up, you'll get a solid discussion. But this ain't homeroom and when you say stupid shit, there is no teacher to gently push you to a more reasonable worldview. Here, when you post with no basis in reality and then try to say it's worth something because it's your "opinion" there is going to be a conga line of posters who will be unafraid to call you what you appear to be.

As for intolerance, why is it that the people who are so obviously deficient logically are the ones who speak of intellectual intolerance? But I suppose you are right as I can tolerate just about anybody except people who couple ignorance with arrogance.

And now, for the first time ever, I'm using the button ...

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

No. 7

Okay, how about this? The number who watched the ESPYs > those who watched Smith and Carlos at the Olympics and are still drawing breath / could still name them.

I just aim to please.

More networks these days, sure, but the Olympics did not have the same popular cachet in 1968 that they do today (certainly not viewed like, say, LA 84). Population growth also a factor. There were 58,250,000 television households in 68 (according to Nielsen), 114,000,000+ today.

From USA Today in 2004: But in the all-important prime time, NBC might not match the 13.8% of U.S. TV households it averaged for Sydney — the lowest Summer Olympic prime-time average since ABC's 1968 Games.

If you generously grant '68 a 13% share (7 million), far off the 24 percent for the World Series that year (still day games, remember, though maybe you don't). (More than a few later World Series were up over 30%.) What are the chances that folks sitting at home in front of their black-and-white sets had their rabbit ears adjusted and happened to catch that particular hour, late night as I recall, of the 44 hours that ABC broadcast from Mexico City? What are the chances that the Espys, at about 3 in Nielsen pick more eyeballs Tivoed, Youtubed and replayed?

YD&OHS, etc

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Maybe. What kind of ratings did the ESPYs get anyway? (I imagine they're better than I'd like to believe, since they moved the Sunday MLB game to late afternoon to show the damn awards show on tape.)

6. friend of the friendless

No. 7

Overnights put it at 4-million+. Factor in replays, Tivos, highlights and Youtube.

Actuarily, if you don't think the audience from '68 is dying off, you missed Peter Norman's passing. And Al Oerter's. And those who brought you the Games, McKay, Arledge, Cosell, and others. Forty years is a long time.

YD&OHS, etc

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I'll factor in replays, TiVos, YouTubes and highlights. And you can factor in all the times that clip or still photo of them was shown on the news in 1968; the ratings hardly reflect how many people would have seen it, correct? Also, keep in mind the image has been shown in various media in the last 40 years. I was born in '76, yet I knew all about Smith and Carlos' protest as a kid.

8. friend of the friendless

No. 7

I envy you your youth but little else. You "knew all about Smith and Carlos' protest as a kid"? You saw the image ... don't mistake that for knowledge. That's not so far removed from Stuart Scott. Lord, forgive them, they know not what they're talking about. You're just guessing at what events in Mexico City and the reaction were like back in '68.

YD&OHS, etc

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

While old folks like me and FotF lived through it and understood it.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mexico City was such a genuine moment for Smith and Carlos that they did not need to validate their lives by accepting a phony ESPY award.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well if you read through some of the posts here it's been suggested.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

You're not lying. And why you're at it, I'd like to see Sean Combs take down his ad of him using Smith and Carlos pose to sell his apparel.

nothing disturbs me more than the corporate hijacking of something organic and real to benefit ones pocket.

Draft saved Draft deleted