1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Black Power & SigR Idiocy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 30, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Re: ESPN's Black Power Idiocy

Don't forget the Detroit Riots. Or was that '67?

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

You really don't understand much, do you?

3. astronomychal

astronomychal New Member

The Black Panther Party is probably the most recognizable entity of the black power movement. Take a look at their 10 point plan (party platform) and give me an idea of where they crossed over from separatist to supremacist.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/blackpanthers/history.shtml

It was no secret that they felt completely controlled by the constructs of society, and felt that self-governance would be the only measure of independence that would fulfill our Constitutional obligation to free men, but to say that the platform speaks from a position of supremacy is misguided in my opinion. The voice of their platform is one of an acknowledged societal and governmental inferiority which assumed that a cooperatively diverse leadership group would still be controlled by entities hellbent on ensuring continued inequality in law, business, education, and service to country/society.

Where the militant separatists and pacifist integrationists differed in my mind is that separatists approached equality as impossible without separation, while integrationists viewed equality as impossible with separation. One was defiantly independent, with an inferiority complex. The other was steadfastly dependent, without a willingness to apologize or change their dependency on the governmental framework to solidify a changing social picture. The separatist movement assumed that the picture was irreparably flawed, and that the framework had to be changed in order to give the social picture a satisfying context.

Ok, time for bed.... my history machine is running out of gas :D.

4. SigR

SigR Member

I'd like to thank Ragu and the few others who decided to participate in the discussion. For the rest of you fucks who get off on telling me to read a book, calling me a moron, etc...just fucking butt out, seriously. Make the effort and engage me, but jfc, get over the Sig is a moron bullshit. I'm not a moron. I have different opinions than you. There is a difference.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As the old saying goes ... you're entitled to your own opinions, you're not entitled to your own facts.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I have no doubt you believe this.

But it just ain't so.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

'67. Watts was '65.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of the broader aims of Black Power was to encourage self-reliance and no longer accept black people having to be satisfied with whatever the majority allowed them to have or that it finds acceptable and non-threatening to whites. Seems like not a lot has changed. Blacks can't be too proud of their accomplishments, less it causes cowards like Goldberg to quake in fear.

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Take heart, Sig. These threads where you get bashed is just another example of the market responding to a societal need.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

he is not a smart man.

11. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Ig. No. Rant.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But do you really think the ESPY's was the right forum to honor some of these accomplishments. For Smith and Carlos to show up there seemed like a bit of a sell out to the man.

In many circles in the 60's Disney was viewed as a racist organization for how they portrayed black people in their movies and cartoons.

Draft saved Draft deleted