1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Bad Night

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Kidding - Clearly Mayock reference point from having played in the NFL makes his analysis superior to Kiper.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Mayock is a coach's son and was a star player in college, not some helmethair that ESPN lets come out of the cellar once a year.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Which of these ESPN guys has conflicts of interest?

I don't want to hear Sanders talking about Dez Bryant, and I don't want ESPN draft guys talking about guys they mentor/coach, etc.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do you want the month and year or just the year?

5. Herbert Anchovy

Well, where should we begin. Berman got a Super Bowl ring from the 49ers, for one . . .

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The draft blowing up, IMHO, has a ton to do with Kiper. He is to this as Vitale is to college hoops blowing up.

Don't tell me the NFL Network guy with the delivery of Ben Roethlisberger at 1:45 a.m. is the guy everyone says is so much better than Kiper.

He maight know his shit, but Kiper has polished that delivery for over a decade.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think there are too many people at ESPN who don't have huge conflicts of interest.

Hell, many of them are represented by the same agencies that represent the athletes. Gee, I wonder how they get their info.

8. Herbert Anchovy

For as bad as the coverage was, the ratings blew an NBA playoff game out of the water.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-04-23/espn-s-draft-beats-nba-playoffs-in-ratings-race-update1-.html

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jeez, man, it doubled the rating of the 2 games (I averaged the rating of the two games for comparison purposes).

I find that fascinating. David Stern, go back to the drawing board. You drag out the playoffs, make the first round 7 games, so the games become as meaningless as an NBA regular season game. You give the average fan (not the diehards) no reason to watch NBA playoffs.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The draft is cool, but its impact on team's success/failure is overrated. We're talking about maybe one-sixth of a roster give or take. And fewer than half of the Super Bowl teams in the last 10 years started a qb they picked in the first round (Roethlisberger 2, Manning 3)
    And it bothers me that it has become such a show. A red carpet? And since they cut it to seven rounds, how you handle free agents and cap concerns makes a bigger difference in whether you win a ring or not.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's no reason to watch NBA playoffs in the first round. No surprise that Round 1 of the draft thumped it.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

So much for my theory that holding the draft's first round in prime time on a Thursday would limit its audience. Wow. NBC's shows were down in audience Thursday night, and I wonder if this had something to do with that. Good job, ESPN.

Draft saved Draft deleted