1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's analytics rankings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 23, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This could get heated and locked up faster than a politics thread.

The Great Analytics Rankings

ESPN ranked every team based on how it embraces the new world. The top two franchises, the Philadelphia 76ers and Houston Astros, certainly do wonders for the cause.

The San Francisco Giants and the Seattle Seahawks fit in the "One Foot In" group, mid-range among the five categories (All-In, Believers, One Foot In, Skeptics, Nonbelievers). Imagine if they were Believers, they'd be unbeatable like the Indians and Browns!

JC likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Lakers, Jets, Knicks, Avalanche and the Washington NFL team are certainly crushing it, though.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was really hoping this was about a story on BR or Deadspin, where some enterprising reporter took the last five years of dribble spewed by all of ESPN's prognosticating analysists and reviewed who came close to being right. How accurate are the mock drafts? The March Madness predictions?

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Does getting rid of players before they reach a certain age count as analytics?

I would think this would apply a lot more to MLB and the NBA (I have no idea about hockey) than it would the NFL.

What's the NFL equivalent of a guy who draws a lot of walks? :D

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

About as interesting as the Oscars last night.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My team would be in the one-foot-in category. I'm certainly not going to hand the franchise over the computer geeks. Consider it, but let those who watch and analyze the players and the games have the loudest voice.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Any New England Patriots offensive player not named Tom Brady?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

From the "all-in" Pirates...

"The way that we are integrated is a strength," Fox told ESPN.com. As Fox and his staff continue development of the Pirates' baseball information system, he says he believes the team has the resources to adapt to the next set of challenges that player tracking data will bring.

Most important, analytics have a voice in Huntington's decision making. "One of the best things about Neal is his inclusiveness," Fox adds, "he is always willing to share his thought process and listen to ideas."

I have no problem with my Buccos using data, but what I bolded seems to be a long way from being "all-in."

Draft saved Draft deleted