1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Amy K. Nelson on Jim Joyce

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 7, 2011.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Has to have been upstairs. No way anyone downstairs took the time to see his name. Unless the bags have his name on it and it was obvious

2. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Great piece. I was in the umpires' room that night, and it is the most emotional interview of my career. Joyce was so devastated and so willing to throw himself on his sword, that I think we only asked three or four questions. I remember the first was "Have you seen the replay?" - he talked for several minutes without interruption after that.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The luggage tag was easy to spot because it was on the crate containing Joyce's seeing-eye dog. [/StillBitterThirdGenerationTigersFan]

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's what I figured. But stranger things have happened downstairs, no?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm biased, but that made me giggle.

6. writingump

writingump Member

Great story. As an umpire myself, I can only imagine how horrible he felt after missing that kind of call. Good thing it wasn't in the World Series or some nutjob might have actually tried to do something.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Playthrough.

I was thinking about it. There are situations where a name might pop out at you. It is more likely that it happened at the ticket counter.

And yes stranger things (like a loose gorilla) has happened.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Great story. Thanks for the link.

Draft saved Draft deleted