1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPNN: Leyritz in jail. Vehicular homicide.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm not mocking the guy.

But I get psychotic about drunken drivers who think they're too slick for words.

Have a good friend who's largely committed to the bottle. But he spends a small fortune on cabs annually, because he knows it only takes one mistake, and he's not interested in making it.

Smart guy.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A guy who takes daily visits to the place where everyone knew my name made a choice 25 years ago. He had hit a tree with his car while drunk and had a decision to make. He chose the odd one: He chose to quit driving and keep drinking because e did not want to hurt anyone else. So since that day -- sober or not -- he takes busses and cabs around town and relies on others to go out of town.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agree Ben - no good reason to drink and drive in this day and age. MADD has done a gone job getting people to think more about it but sadly there is more work to be done.

4. Interesting. It's funny how the idea of taking a bus is so bizarre to all of us. But, thinking about it, I guess I could get everywhere (work, gym, restaurants) by bus, bike or by cab if I really had to. I can't imagine I'd spend more than my $200 car payment on cab fare.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nice time to namedrop and brag about your brush with D-list celebrity.

And as others have noted, your statement is so far out of whack it's barely worth noting how ludricrious it is. Of course you don't remember him getting hammered. You probably don't remember much of anything from that night if you were bellying up to the bar and sucking down jacks and cokes.

For the love of fuck.

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Much of my life deals with people who abuse alcohol. It's a bad drug.

That said, drinking and driving is not an accident. People choose to drive to a bar, a friend's house. With each drink, a decision is made that is dangerous to that person and to any stranger unfortunate enough to pass nearby. I view it similarly to shooting a gun randomly. Eventually somebody will be injured and die.

The other perp who aided and abetted the crime was the bartender. For the enticement of a tip or an extra dollar in profit, people are served alcohol when they are already intoxicated and many times incapacitated. I wonder how the death of an innocent affects the bottom line.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Did I ever tell you about the time I was doing blow with Rae Carruth? He was telling me how he wanted his pregnant girlfriend dead. I don't remember much about the evening but it was good times, good times.

8. Boom_70

Leyritz is really on the "B" list. Heading up the "D " list - Dave Roberts, Greg Buttle and Todd Pratt.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The story is relevent because this is one of the few people in my life who I have gotten to know a little (a very little) who later killed someone in a criminal manner.

I guess you have met tons of those people, BYH. Right? It's just commonplace for you.

10. Boom_70

do you know anyone who cooks for McDonalds?

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How can one billion hamburgers be wrong?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Actually, a guy I covered at a very local level and knew on a first-name basis was accused of murdering his wife during the first week of a football season (he was later convicted and sentenced to life in prison). then his team won the championship and a big part of my title game story was about the team focusing thru the distraction.

But he wasn't famous to SJ at large so there was no reason for me to link the story or to even brag about drinking with him once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.