1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN2 --- WTF? A marching band show?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 5, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Is that a marching-band competition?

Did they light up a whole football stadium for that?

Does it mean more band parents will be calling the sports desk and demanding validation?

And may I please be allowed to walk up behind the ESPN exec who approved this and smash his face into his desk?

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I was thinking the same thing.

This is probably the second-lamest thing I've ever seen on an ESPN channel.

The lamest? A Magic: The Gathering tournament.

With play-by-play AND an analyst.

Seriously.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Please take this off the air...I'll never complain about a spelling bee again.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

ESPN: Poker
    ESPN2: Band Competition

This is almost as bad as a hockey double-header.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Or the Pirates-Cubs game I'm watching right now.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

You know, if they had Norman Chad and Triumph the Comic Insult Dog doing PXP and analysis of Magic: The Gathering, I'd watch.

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Drum Corps International moved their broadcast from PBS to ESPN 2 years ago. Last year on ESPN2 they drew a .49 rating

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Some kids came into my library to look up some college info for a class project. They said the teacher told them to pick whatever colleges they wanted.

One of the kids wanted to find info about Atlanta A&T. I never heard of it. But I showed them all the materials we had to look up colleges. After looking through about three books and finding no mention of Atlanta A&T., I asked where they had heard of that school.

It is the fictitious school mentioned in Drumline.

9. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I hope Dr. Lee lets Devon play in the BET Classic.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, the "E" in ESPN does stand for entertainment, right? No surprise to me. I mean, for years they have shown national cheerleading competitions. This has to be better, right?

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Are you completely insane? Or just slightly insane?

Assuming we're discussing college cheerleaders...is there any contest whatsoever?

12. Hustle

Hustle Guest

A quick aside to set up the story: My wife and I were watching Jeopardy a few weeks ago, when they had the Teen Tournament on. After the first break, where Alex shoots the shit with the contestants, one kid from Jersey claimed that performing in the band was at least as difficult as any sport.

It takes timing, coordination, and a good memory, he said. Or something like that. I screamed at the TV, yeah, at least you don't have to worry about people wanting your head on a stick! Come on now. Don't be silly.

Now that you know where I stand on issues like that, did you guys take the time to actually watch what they were doing? That shit was impressive. This wasn't a high school competition or anything; these were pros, at least in the marching band world. We took time to watch one of the last acts, and the way they moved and the sound they produced was incredible.

I'm not sure if the debate is whether this stuff should be on ESPN (I'll agree that IS debatable) or whether the tone is simply dismissive of what they're doing. If the latter is the case, then I find that unfortunate.

If the former is the case, then I am in complete error.

Draft saved Draft deleted