1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN..... too much time on their hands?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark2010, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've enjoyed a couple of the 30 on 30 (or whatever the official name is) documentary series. They could show more of those as opposed to "Countdown to the ESPYs". I realize actual programming is harder than Sportscenter. For Sportscenter, there is no excuse to keep running the same drivel over and over again in a one-hour show.

And the next time I hear a LeBron James-Dwyane Wade reference, I am going to vommit! Enough already! Deal with it when the season starts in October!

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Most cable packages have more than one channel. Expand your interests, go watch something other than sports all day long. It will make you more well-rounded, and ESPN won't bother you anymore.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hardcore, competitive wiffle ball would be a great summer change of pace. The unintentional comedy value is high and it's a nice throwback to their early 80s roots. Kind of like when they showed the championship of the slow-pitch softball world series a couple years ago.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The unfunniest person on TV. Ever.

5. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

50 States in 50 Days is something they should do every summer. That was cool. Most of what they do isn't. You got to fill the time somehow when nothing's going on. They've actually been pretty lucky each summer the past four years or so with actual news happening - with Vick, Favre, Donaghy, Bonds, Random Steroid Reports, and, most recently of course, LeBronnukah.

The last thing I ever want to see on ESPN is the visual of the radio jockeys doing their shows in that old and busted NFL Countdown set. Try harder if you want me to watch during the day, please.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr 96,

Count yourself lucky. The NHL awards had the talented Jay Mohr.

I'd rather have had Jack Carter (in the guise of Marty Golden, maybe). He'd schneider them. Or maybe Professor Irwin Corey (although he has accepted a Pulitzer so that might over-qualify him for the ESPY's).

YHS, etc

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Didn't watch the ESPYs. About the only redeeming feature of them is the "In Memoriam" segment." But I did notice when I read the write-up that "best moment" was Donavan's goal vs. Algeria. Man - it must have been a sucky year in sports. Though I can't think of anything off the top of my head that was better. Though if that last shot from Butler went in against Duke....

The other thing about the ESPYs is that most of the athletes are so stiff and appear uncomfortable. You think they might loosen up more if they didn't have to worry about losing endorsements?

8. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I wouldn't know because I've never watched that crap. Not one year.

And if other people would stop watching some of the crap they do (10 million for LeBron's ego-fest?? - Just wait till Favre does it in August) then maybe they'd have to stop showing it.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The other thing that makes the ESPYs worthwhile is the opening montage of the year in sports. But they usually open with it, so you can get away with tuning out after 10 minutes.

10. I really didn't like the 50 states in 50 days, but did enjoy what they did last year where kids with illnesses or disabilities got a chance to meet some of their favorite players. I thought that was the thing they should do every summer.

11. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

The biggest knock I had with 50 states in 50 days was that I was working in a sporting goods store that played ESPN all day during that summer.
    Hearing that awful Bryan Adams song over and over during an eight hour shift drove me insane.

12. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Then you've never seen Kathy Griffin.

Draft saved Draft deleted