1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN..... too much time on their hands?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark2010, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So last week, we had not only a LeBron James decision one-hour special, but a THREE-HOUR countdown to the decision special.

On Wednesday, we get a two-hour countdown to.... the ESPYs??? Are you kidding me? A two-hour countdown to a one-hour award show that is largely hype and self-promotion?

Me thinks ESPN has far too much time to fill. Better to show re-runs of old games like ESPN Classic or talk shows like Scott Van Pelt or just about anything. YAWN!!

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I liked the Great Outdoor Games. And I realize ESPN has really scaled back the X Games (no more street luge, adventure races), - but why not a Backyard Games (Whiffle Ball, lawn badmitton, bocce, horse shoes, dodge ball)?.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Shall we step into the wayback machine, and the two-hour preview of Kobe's five-minute sentencing hearing?

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Don't forget the day long Steinbrenner love fest. Yes, his passing was the biggest news of the day but did it require all that?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Not to be a jerk, but that's a terrible idea.

If you want to televise more SVP, that's fine. He's actually pretty good. But more classic games also works. Heck I've noticed ESPNU has been televising games this week like the recent football title game, and last night it had on the Michigan-OSU Big 10 tourney game.

But I won't watch a single minute of the Espys, whether C-lister Seth Myers is on it or not, and I sure as hell won't watch the wannabe Joan Rivers nonsense previewing the worthless look at me show that's a huge, raging conflict of interest.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Even my mom was interested in Steinbrenner's death, and my dad and I have to explain the rules of baseball to her every time she watches it with us.

I didn't see the coverage, so maybe it was too-heavy handed, but filling a game-free day with memorial coverage of Steinbrenner isn't out of line to me.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Hey, I'd watch.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Everytime there's a slow news days, ESPN does this. So it makes me wonder what they would have filled all that air time with had Steinbrenner not died? I mean how many times can you show highlights of the baseball all-star game that ended 3-1?

Look, I'm a copy desk editor, so I face some of the same dilemmas. I look at the calendar, I see what days are busy and what days are slow and try to budget features and enterprise stuff accordingly. It's not brain surgery. Why can't they do the same?

9. I think they save that stuff for "The Ocho."

Do they even do the Outdoor Games anymore?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hard to believe, such a calamity

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wondered how long before the Styx reference would come out. Tommy Shaw and Dennis DeYoung stand and applaud, even if they can't stand each other. :)

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

What the hell else should they show this time of year? Re-runs of the World Series of Poker? They've got ESPN Classic for that. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted