1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN: The NFL's bitch, but College Football's king

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 24, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Interesting contrast.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It always makes me laugh when college fans defend their weak schedules saying they were made years ago, when either their team was weak or the opponent was good.
    Yet, we've seen countless examples of buying out one opponent for another, or bailing out of a game because they want one of these TV paydays.
    One of the things I like about the playoff is that I think we'll see more teams scheduling up with at least one tough non-conference game (if they want to be considered for the Final Four).

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What gets me is people bitching about weak SEC schedules. Hell, just look at the games the first week.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The biggest gripe I have about the SEC is the weak sisters they play toward the end of the year. It isn't like they couldn't be playing each other instead of Furman.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1991: Florida at Syracuse

Last time Florida has left the state for a non-con.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

whats their incentive to do it?

7. Songbird

Risk something.

LSU goes to Washington.
    Georgia goes to Arizona State.
    Alabama goes to Penn State, plays Virginia Tech.

Risk something.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

ESPN screws around with when lesser sports, like lacrosse, play their games, and influences (controls) which playoff games are played first on doubleheader days.

Not a fan of how they throw their weight and $$$ around.

9. three_bags_full

So playing perinneal conference champions isn't risking something? When Alabama played Clemson three years ago, the Tigers were ranked third.

TCU is ranked 20th and just a couple years back was ranked in the top five.

Alabama played Florida State a couple years back -- and lost.

Mississippi State isn't challenging itself with Oklahoma State this Saturday?

Georgia's playing a top 10 team Saturday, right?

Is that not risk? I'm confused.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

TV in general, and ESPN in particular also affects how much class time the athlete-students miss. You know, the purpose of why these kids are supposed to be going to school.

11. three_bags_full

These kids aren't in school to be athletes.

12. Songbird

You're validating what I posted about Florida.

I gave a few examples of other top-tier SEC teams risking a hit by going on the road to a power conference -- and you added others.

My point is that now it's Florida's turn to risk something far away from home.

Draft saved Draft deleted