1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN The Magazine: Your source for fashion coverage?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This according to Women's Wear Daily off of a Romenesko link:

Doesn't exactly make me want to rush out to get a subscription!

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Here's where you can buy a short, fat tie like Deion Sanders, pink shirts like Merril Hoge, and highlighters to match your ties like Digger Phelps.

3. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

I remember the time ESPN said "We want to be to sports what MTV is to music" and it made me think "So you don't want any sports on your network?"

Apparently the magazine is working towards that goal.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

This thread is useless without pictures? Is it appropriate enough to say so?

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The problem with fashion coverage in any mag is that it's dictated, or seems to be dictated, by advertising, and thus the coverage is not really for us, it's for the advertisers. To me it's more than coincidental that all of a sudden J.Press starts showing up in Esquire layouts soon after they started advertising. J.Press has not changed its styles in 50 fucking years and all of a sudden it's worthy of inclusion in fashion layouts? Now I love J.Press and I love Esquiire, but I find the pairing and the timing a bit suspicious. This is all about the money and we shouldn't believe any horseshit about ESPN mag serving readers with this.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, I want to look like a street pusher straight out of The Wire.

7. Sorry, Jones, but I'm so happy I shit-canned my subscription.

Rag gets worse every month.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Winner, winner.

This is why women's magazines have two distinct features, the "fashion spreads" (those 3-5 pages of emaciated models wearing something nobody would be caught dead in public with) and the "fashion service pieces" (The best jeans for your size!). The only reason the fashion spreads still exist is to pander to the advertisers.

That said, I think this is a great move from a business perspective. They can attract not only fashion advertising, but they can use all the athletes branching out into the fashion world as a natural go-between.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Binder at first suggested the magazine target tobacco ads, before he realized Popular Mechanics cornered that market years ago. "C'mon, people want to know what atheletes are dipping to and from the ballpark."

The next time I take a salesperson seriously will be the first time.

Draft saved Draft deleted