1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN: The Magazine HGH story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Jan 29, 2007.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

TV guy looking for what stories to cover by reading the newspaper ... hmmmm ... you don't say?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It was a good story, pringle. I don't have it in front of me, and I read it more than a week ago, but he even got Greg Aiello on the record saying that the league is potentially open to HGH use if it's proven there is a medical benefit for players, right?

I wonder if the PA would fight that or minimize the importance of it, because they'd have to actually admit that players suffer debilitating side effects from all the contact and they'd potentially have to make payouts to all the former players who are cripples and can't get a penny?

3. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

No worries, yeah I believe that as to doctors.

Here is how the Vitamin C thing works. Asthma is an inflammation of the lungs/throat typically caused by an allergic reaction (Histamine) which then causes the inflammation.

It could be dust, cold air, sometimes food that sets it off.

Anyway, the Vitamin C has counteracting effects on allergic reactions. Now I am not saying if you are stung by a bee and are allergic to bees just drink Vit-C (you need Benedryl or perhaps Epi in an emergency)

But Vit-C in mega doses will help and interestingly enough there have been cases I think of mega dose Vit-C having a big effect on rattlesnake bites (which also have allergic type reaction with the poison)

Like I said can't hurt and is healthy for you, as opposed to pumping down more cortisol &/or Ephedrine.

Since for true relief/healing you have to deal with root cause and not symptoms. For instance when you use ephedrine it will open up your lungs but it will also allow more allergen irritants in to further inflame you later. I am sure you have experienced this.

Again, I know there are some other good things that will help as well. I will see what I can find when I get a moment.

Glad to help

John

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That fits with the previous explanations I've heard. (See? I will give credit when it is due). Problem is that the level of understanding of asthma in the medical community is surprisingly lousy. It's a catch-all term for what really is more than one condition. (Say exercise-induced vs. those who have respiratory distress even when they are at rest).

Ok...enough threadjacking...because I NEVER do that....hehe

5. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Thanks OOP & agreed.

I am moving on to other threads - or actually probably some work now.

Later - I kind of want to talk about other stuff like which HBO series is the best & how bad ass 300 or Ghost Rider is going to be.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

They'd also have to differentiate between players who suffered pituitary damage from actual injury, and those who suffered damage from steroid abuse.

The story also notes the case of Mike Webster, whose family was awarded $2 million after a court determined the NFL owed him benefits for brain damage suffered during his career. No doubt a small price for the league to pay, rather than admit that professional football can indeed cause irreparable brain damage.

7. The Big Ragu

I just posted about this--and mentioned Mike Webster--on the journalism board thread about a Wally Matthews column in Newsday about the former players speaking up today about the screw job they get from the union.

It's inherent in the collective-bargaining agreement between the league and the players. Only the current players have a vote and any money they give to former players is out of their pocket. Since the current players don't give a shit about the former players, the union doesn't give a shit about the former players--even though they are sure to make a big deal out of the extra pennies they add to the pension payout pot every every year. It makes Gene Upshaw a whore (although I wouldn't be the one to call him it to his face) because those are his peers he is screwing. But he has a multimillion dollar salary and it's at the pleasure of the current players who can vote, not the former players who have no power. If he wasn't making it hard for former players to get their hands on the $$, someone else would be.

The way I see it, this is really an issue between the current players and the former players--and it doesn't involve Joe Fan. If the current players are so shortsighted as to not realize that in 3 years most of them are going to be former players, it shouldn't be incumbent upon me to feel outrage about it.

I didn't mean to sidetrack the HGH discussion, but it's sort of relevant, because the NFLPA has a way of squelching news that can have an impact on its players' longterm health if it means they potentially have to pay money to former players. They've done it with the research about brain concussions and they've done it with the studies about heart disease and early death of former linemen, to name two areas.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Once again, unions have a fiduciary responsibility to represent their CURRENT members and cannot just split their allegiance to represent former members, too. Doing that would have adverse affects on the current members. The NFL, on the other hand, could remedy the problem in an instant.

9. The Big Ragu

It is the joint responsibility of the league and the union, if you ask me. I just posted on the other thread... They set money before negotiating when it comes to other things they deem important. They could certainly do it with a former players' fund if it was important. The money would be off the table before they start talking about dividing up the pie.

10. cranberry

Why do you think the union should have a say in what the NFL does with its money? For what other things do they jointly set aside the NFL's money?

11. The Big Ragu

The NFL Youth Fund immediately comes to mind. They set aside $150 million (I believe that's the number, but I may be off on the amount) to promote the sport, build community football fields, run youth programs, etc. They do it in other areas, too. The money is jointly administered by the league and the union.

The union already has a say in what the NFL does with its money. Their collective bargaining efforts aren't from the typical employer-employee standpoint, in which the employer is dictating the the terms. They start out by saying, "If the league makes $X billion, the owners will see Y percent of it and the players will see Z percent of it." They are negotiating over Y and Z. In other words, they are negotiating over how the NFL's money gets divided up.

12. cranberry

You're mixing things up terribly here. The union can spend its own money (which it likely does on any number of programs) and it can certainly involve itself in a program jointly with the NFL. However, it cannot negotiate benefits for people who are not in their bargaining unit. It would be wrong, unethical and leave them in legal jeopardy.

Draft saved Draft deleted