1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN: The Magazine HGH story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Jan 29, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So anyway, back to the story Pringle posted....I meant to post it myself, will look for a link.

Tom Farrey has done a great job with this subject for the Mag--the idea that HGH isn't always a criminal sin. The current story is pretty scary....explains how repeated head trauma can render the body incapable of healing itself, hormonally and otherwise. Wreck the pituitary and you wreak havoc on the rest of the system.

Here's an earlier link from last September, also by Farrey on the subject of HGH: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2574291

2. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Right,

Which is exactly what I have been saying the whole time and have been saying to national reporters for years. Thus, the fact that some GOOD reporters are finally reporting on this doesn't mean they discovered it.

Give credit where credit is due. I know many of the SJ women & haters are busy PM'ing each other the last few days and all to coordinate their strategy against me - lol, too funny.

Yet, try as you might you still have to face the facts that I have been consistant & I am the EXPERT here and I have brought YOU new info & insight & scopes & you have proven that you didn't know what you are talking about & now are starting to learn a little - which makes your previous statements expose that kind of arrogance and ignorance you had.

Again, the elephant in the room. We all see it. I am happy to unearth the old posts and go step by step. My posts - all the same, right on target & consistant from day one...other's...uh, not so much.

Why do you think the general public has such a low opinion of the media??

It is that kind of arrogance.

Especially when in large part it is so undeserved.

Q: What education is needed to become a journalist?
    A: None

Q: What professional examination or licensing is needed to become a journalist

Q: What regulatory agency or institution polices bad journalists?

Q: What kind of expertise must a SJ posses before they are allowed to write/talk about a subject

Q: When covering a wide variety of stories how much in-depth knowledge does your average SJ posses in any subject, let alone the complex ones
    A: Often very little

Q: How much do some SJ's act like they know about most subjects
    A: Everything

Q: What is the average age of the heavy posters on SJ
    A: Likely 25

Q: How many real jobs have many SJ's held other then being and SJ?
    A: Few, which leaves them with little real world experience

The point is most SJ's live in a fish bowl.

Now, I love the first amendment and am a HUGE believer in having an active free press as that is critical for the proper functioning of our Republic. However, in order for that to work right it also means that reporters must have perspective and dare say humility as to what their limits and biases are to be able to be most open to learning the facts & conveying those facts in the best way.

This is how you will become a great journalist

NOT by playing like a little kid in come cool HS clique that only invites the "cool" kids to the party (i.e. just ppl they already know) and then is going to write a hard hitting story about the "truth" of the streets or being a nerd, etc.

I know that breaks from the fun of patting yourselves on the back and self-congratulatiing each other, much like Hollywood does with...err a dozen or so awards every year for themselves, voted on by themselves & yet they are so out of touch with the average American in almost every way.

So obvious

So you can keep trying to play games and all 21, but those of us who are smart see the truth and oh BTW one article that you "were" going to link...but uh NEVER did (give Indiansnetwork credit..sheesh) does NOT put you ANYWHERE NEAR on par with me in terms of credibility or knowledge on this issue.

Come on Steph - we were just starting to get along. Put it in neutral and get off the high horse. You may not like me or IN but give credit where credit is due - it only makes you look bad when you don't.

Now if only Boom could help guide you to the light & join the Villa army.

There is hope - all can be saved & forgiven.

JDV

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

You can't spell Village Idiot without Villa (unless, of course, you're indiansnetwork).

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Drop the dumb "Hollywood-out-of-touch" thing. Does everything that comes out of your mouth come straight from Rush's talking points of the day? You're right, Hollywood IS out of touch with the average American. Like Joaquin Phoenix (I think) said in "Hotel Rwanda," "Yeah, they'll watch the video. They'll think it's terrible. Then they'll go right on eating their dinner."

So if by "Hollywood is out of touch" you mean that Hollywood actually gives a shit about things outside their own living room, while Red State Joe in his trailer only likes to snarl about "liberals" and how they are ruining everything, then, yeah, I guess Hollywood is out of touch (I know I'm channeling George Clooney here, but he was dead-on).

And you're so right - anyone can just walk into anywhere and say, "I want to be a sports journalist!" and they assign you the Lakers beat. STFU. Maybe you don't have to pass the bar or anything equivalent to that to practice journalism, but the business certainly has its own built-in screening system.

No way you went to Boalt. No fucking way.

5. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

That is almost funny, but doesn't really have any punch or flair.

You want to know what is really funny?

I am much smarter & better educated then you for real.

Unsightly stubborn things those facts.

Thus, you calling me stupid is kind of like a blind person saying an elite special forces sniper can't see so well.

It is amusing, but not for the reason you think.

LOL

PS - here is a tip for the good of the board:

If...you...stop...personally....attacking...me (at a third grade level)..I...will...stop...responding (at a far higher & more effective level)...and...we...can...all...talk...about...the...issues/topics...at...hand

Kinda brilliant isn't it

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Please, John, tell us how you have better journalistic credentials than Jones.

Please.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Nope.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

In fairness, I don't think JV said anything about being a journalist. Just being smarter, stronger, faster ... that sort of thing.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

cranberry --

Try the Hilary thread.

"This is a composite of well known stories from teasing about his ears & meltdown/confrontation of Mo Dowd, to the Muslim stuff, to his charging of Hilary 08 attacking him secretly & digging dirt, etc. etc. He has shown he is easy to rattle recently and has made some missteps. We will see what happens in the future but I have my suppositions as I have disclosed as I am quite sure it will get much worse for BO.

Your hounding me for the "link" when this has been gathered by TV, radio, Internet, and newspaper stories shows that you are kind of myopic in your sourcing (on this issue) and lazy in your research & just don't know politics if you missed this. It is pretty much out there & well covered.

What is worse is you make fun of me when I have obvious STRONG credentials in this issue. It is like of all things politics is my home run ball.

Here is something you may understand/respect. I used to work in the newsroom of CNN gathering stories with the Bureau Chief & Assignment Editor.

I have posted some of my other extensive pol experience - I get tired of repeating myself.

Not to be a jerk, but come on.

If you don't agree with what I say go do some research and come back to us, or put out your own thoughts/theories & we can discuss.

But, it is safe to assume that I know what I am talking about. That will save us both time & aggravation."

He's an expert on politics and journalism.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I just need to know right now, since we've somehow managed to discuss this issue for several years without the participation of our new 'expert' and many of us are wildly overqualified to have to justify our opinions: Are we going to have to go through this every time the subject of athletic training comes up?

Post or don't post, John, but you are a raging bore, and should probably have your pituitary checked as well.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

JDV, halfway through your post I was going to compliment you. This is the kind of thing we would have all liked to see from you from day one.

Because you got to the point. This is exactly the kind of thing that some of us who had arguments with you were asking for.

I still don't agree with all of your opinions on performance enhancing drugs. And whatever level of expertise you bring, it is still an opinion. And I have heard and read completely opposing opinions from people who have every bit as much expertise as you if not more.

Steve Courson knew a lot about the effects of steroids, too, from what they did to his own body and the research he did later in life. Not to mention medical professionals who point not only to dangerous side effects of PED's that we already know of, but the fact that we really don't know what the long-term dangers are yet.

All drugs come from nature in one form or another. And many dangerous drugs can be used as medicine. I have asthma over the years I have taken medications with dangerous side effects. Hell, really listen to an advertisement for Advair (I can't take it. Makes my heart race. But I've taken similar medications).

That said, I'm disappointed you had to turn right back to the self-promotion again. That has been my issue since day one. Not the qualifications, but the presentation. Your message would have gained a lot more acceptance around here if you could have provided more information and useful opinion and less hype from day one.

And yes, I do keep responding as if this is a real guy. If he's not, well, I'll just applaud the performance and laugh when somebody reveals otherwise.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

IQ 174. check
    JD degree. check
    Squats a Toyota. check
    Abs to die for. check
    Dates (i.e. pulls) 9.2s. check
    Taught Mark McGwire how to hit. check
    Has Tim B. on speed dial. check

He's established his credentials here, Jones. I could have gone on, but I didn't want to humiliate you by drawing a comparison between you and John D. Villarreal. Sorry. He's more man than you on every level.

Draft saved Draft deleted