1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN The Magazine discovers Wins Above Replacement

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8959581/

Sam Miller of Baseball Prospectus and (formerly?) The Orange County Register wrote about WAR for ESPN The Magazine. He expounded for about 3,000 words in an explanatory persuasive essay, taking time to ensure readers would grasp the concept of WAR while also consistently arguing for its superiority as a method of analysis.

We've had all those debates many times here on the Sports and News board. Here's what I think merits discussion as it pertains to this story:

• Is an explanation of WAR still relevant for the audience of ESPN The Magazine? It's 2013. The magazine targets younger readers. This isn't its first analytics-themed issue.
    • Was Miller condescending in his tone? No one wants to be spoken down to, and one of the main issues people have with statheads is their air of arrogance.
    • Did he succeed in attempting to appeal to more than just logic? Should he have even tried?

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Saw a headline at ESPN.com saying WAR has been brought to the masses due to the MVP race last year. I laughed. I don't remember WAR being the massive storyline. Among baseball people it was part of the debate but baseball people know the stat and have for awhile. Most general fans I don't think know the stat or at least don't know it well. They may see the WAR rating but not really care for it or value it.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The page title on this story is "Why Wins Above Replacement is MLB's next big all-encompassing stat." The story doesn't take that hackneyed tone. But there's no question WAR was central to the debate over Mike Trout and Miguel Cabrera (which I insist never had anything to do with the Baseball Writer's Association of America's American League Most Valuable Player Award).

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Wasn't there just a widely-distributed piece challenging the value of WAR?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Same issue has a really good story by Wright Thompson on Michael Jordan turning 50.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jordan's WAR has gone up after that beatdown of a 20-year-old.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This is a good issue. Also has NASCAR 2013 Preview, albeit much shorter than previous years but good analysis of new Gen -6 car.

Draft saved Draft deleted