1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN The Magazine "Body Issue" photo gallery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I got Jose Bautista. :(

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hah-- ESPN is trying to tell you something.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

If they took these same pics in front of their mirror and they got out on Twitter it would be covered as a scandal.

4. Boom_70

No doubt that ESPN is a series of strange contradictions.

5. Yeah, I got Chandler.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is it fair to ask whether it's naive to toss out this issue in this day and age? As naive as tales back in 1998 about Flintstone vitamins or in 2001 about Roger Clemens's amazing workout regimen?

I guess I'm being a devil's advocate to a degree, because I'd be hard pressed to point to one single athlete in here and say, "That' guy/woman is on something." But I'd also be hard pressed to bet that none of them are.

I read this passage by Eli Saslow, who I love as a writer, and I just hope it doesn't somehow come back to bite him in the ass some day: "The fittest athletes train harder than ever before, aided by the smartest tactics, the most money and the best equipment. Marathoners lower the world record every few years. Golfers launch drives so far as to render courses obsolete. Football players weigh more and move faster. But no sport has advanced in the past decade like men's tennis, where a rivalry among three once-in-a-generation players has accelerated the game's evolution."

And: "His food is gluten-free. His drinks are a combination of half a dozen vitamins and minerals. His sleep sometimes comes in a hyperbaric chamber. His reading material is about body awareness and mindfulness. His stress is tested using a biofeedback device. ... His team of trainers and coaches travels with him 11 months each year. They sign confidentiality agreements that forbid them from discussing details of their work, because secrets are powerful, an power feeds greatness."

Do I think that Novak Djokovic is juicing or using amphetamines or whatever tennis players might use to get an edge? Probably not.

Would I write those lines, though? I'd think twice.

7. Boom_70

I wonder what the postman must think about you now.

8. Boom_70

Good question. As a result of his Roger Clemens workout chronicles Tom Verducci lost all credibility with me.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

At this point, what does describing an athlete's training regimen really provide the reader in terms of insight in a profile anyway. Unless it's a Men's Health article, or something to that effect, I don't see what the reader gains by knowing that athletes train hard. I mean, no shit.

That said, I actually enjoy the Body Issue because the photography is usually exquisite and the human body does make an excellent subject for art.

My favorite images were the surfer girl, Tyson Chandler, Ronda Rousey (the first one), Daniela Hantuchova, Anna Tunnicliffe (the second sailing shot) and Carlos Bocanegra (the first two).

Rob Gronkowski, Maurice Jones-Drew and Mike Smith (I mean, a horse licking his head while he holds his dong? Really?) should all be really embarrassed by theirs. Those photos were terrible.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing about Mark Wahlberg after seeing "Ted" and "Invincible" in a 7-day span. That guy's gotta be juicing.

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I love the woman golfer that says you have to be athletically fit to golf. Does John Daly "fit" into that category?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Along those same lines, they should include John Kruk in next year's photo spread.

Draft saved Draft deleted