1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN The Mag WNBA Issue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Earthman, May 12, 2016.

1. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Thx for pointing out. I blew right by it in my first pass of the magazine. The one topic editorial policy of
    ESPN ends up giving some stories a what doesn't belong and why quality.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I would imagine one would need a subscription to read this issue, or a visit to one's local library. Can't imagine it will still be on retailer's shelves just a couple days after it came out. Maybe a few will be ebay for 10X the cover price, for those with disposable income.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I get the magazine as part of my Insider subscription. Since I converted to the electronic issue, I can't say I've opened it even once.

4. Earthman

For me it's the canary in what not to watch in upcoming ESPN programing.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Every so often the Magazine has a big splashy feature that moves the needle, usually by Wright Thompson. Otherwise the content is largely forgettable. Athletes aren't clamoring to be in the Body Issue in any comparable way to how models want to land in the SI swimsuit issue. I never see anyone on the train or subway or anywhere else reading the Magazine. If it weren't given to people as part of the Insider package, I have to imagine it's subscription would be woefully low. It's always seemed like such an unnecessary effort. The mag even used to have its own web site, which had similar content to Page 2. They wisely shuttered that, but the magazine lives on.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Last one I looked at was the 73 reasons to love the Warriors. Other than the standard features, that filled the entire issue. I didn't read much of it.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If? She is one of maybe 5 people in the WNBA that most people could identify. I think if she wasn't in there I'd pick up a copy to see what they wrote about.

8. Earthman

The missing story is "What Happened to Skylar Diggins? .. She used to be cute.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

ESPN Magazine has as many big topic articles as SI. Recent ones I remember are investigating Drew Brees and his pyramid scheme supplements, the Tiger Woods article, and a Russian Olympian trying to compete. Every article in their Warriors issue was better than the Rick Reilly one SI slobbered over. They also have good columnists -- Howard Bryant and Peter Keating always write something interesting.

10. Earthman

Agreed they have some great writing but it all gets lost in all the junk. Kevin Van Valkenburg's story Hiding In Plain Sight was outstanding. In this issue as example the story Dave Fleming did on Reche Caldwell was a good one but it's buried in The WNBA issue.

11. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Earthman, you got any opinions on Peter King?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Isn't the WNBA coverage on any of the ESPN broadcast channels down to a half-handful of games a year?

I know 10 years or so ago they used to have some games even on ABC, but that's been gone a few years now. A couple games a month on the Deuce is about it I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted