1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN The Mag: What a sports reporter makes ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mediaguy, Sep 25, 2006.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Anybody else see ESPN The Magazine's centerpiece on jobs in sports, what people make, that kind of thing? Was curious to see that in the fine print of jobs and salaries they listed "newspaper sportswriter" as making $75,000 ... Seem a bit high to anybody? I'd think at most maybe the highest 10 or 20 percent in the industry bring in that much. If you're including columnists, makes a little more sense, but still, I can't say I got into the business thinking I'd make $75k ...

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Um, yeah, that's way high. Doesn't matter how many awards I win, I don't think I'm ever going to see $75,000. There are some damn good reporters who might never see $75,000.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

maybe it's part of their plan to make every sports fan hate everyone in the sports media who isn't on espn

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Great, just what we need, someone going out there and spreading bullshit about how much we make. How many common Joe Blows out there see that and now add that to their ammunition "you get paid $75,000 a year to watch sports, like you have it tough." I get paid about a third of that. before taxes. in funny blue, red and brown Canadian money. As a Sports Editor, not writter.

As an average it can't be anywhere near that high. My guess is, and this is throwing everybody into the same pool, the average can't be any higher than $40,000 - $45,000.

5. Is it printed sideways?
    I love the stories that they print sideways.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Where the fuck is my shortfall, asshole journalism industry! I want my thousands of dollars!

ESPN, go fuck yourself.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Was kinda thinking this might not help board morale.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I make more than $75,000... in any given two-year span. :D :D

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't know what you guys are talking about. If anything, $75,000 seems low.
    -- ESPN The Mag reporter

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I think I've made that in my lifetime. But I'm not sure. Not very good at math.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'd take that over two years. It would be a vast improvement...

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

There would be a very simple way for ESPN to figure this out.

Print what their interns make for an annual salary. Then figure out, how could you jump from that low salary to $75,000 a year.

Maybe ESPN can't figure out that whatever little credibility they had among sports writers was lost with that sentence.

Draft saved Draft deleted