1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN the Mag vs. SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cosmo, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd say this, but I think I really like the writing in ESPN the Mag, at least on its meatier pieces.

Started subscribing to the Mag because it came with the access to all the insider blogs on the .com, and got my first issue this week.

Seth Wickersham's piece on the fan who began FOIA-bombing Houston Nutt at Arkansas was fascinating. Loved the piece that they wrote piggybacking the Donaghy issue, about how the NBA has continued to undermine its officials with public reprimands. It's the sort of trend stuff I'd expect to find in SI, but haven't been finding much of lately.

Anybody else with similar feelings?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I let both of my subs lapse a while back. I've been very tempted recently to re-up with ESPN.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I picked ip SI this past week while waiting for an oil change and was quite disappointed in the presentation. I'm sure I'm not their market base, however.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I just reupped SI at 40 bucks a year... It isn't the magazine it was 10 years ago when I started the current subscription run, but still not feeling ESPNTM is a must read either.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I can do without the Stuart Scott chats and all the other crap in the mag, and the presentation still is a little over the top to me. But the meatiness of the writing surprised me.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The last statement is why I'm back with them. Even survived changes of address.

I can live without the McPaper-like stuff in it, but the long-form pieces are well worth the cost.

7. The LeBron/Jimmy Kimmel cover convinced me to end my ESPN Mag subscription.

8. That's odd...I agree that the mag often has really well-written features, though I wasn't too keen on the Busting a Nutt story. I read it and I never lost focus, so that's good. But it left a lot of basic questions left unanswered, I feel.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I have both and both have their advantages.... I can fire through the first 40 pages of ESPN Mag in about 5 minutes - I have no tolerance for Stuart Scott, Mike-N-Mike and all the factoid junk. But the features and writing - with a few navel-gazing, athlete-apologist exceptions - are usually really well done.
    SI is SI - I enjoy the front and the back of the magazine. It rarely disappoints, although I have noticed more sloppiness lately (George Rogers v. Johnny Rodgers, etc.)

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The first things I check in SI are the 2 or 3 double truck photos to start off with, because most of the times they're goddamn fascinating, and then go to the back to see Reilly. This week's Reilly was a bit of the head scratcher.

Like with any publication, some weeks are home runs, other weeks are 4-6-3 double plays, and the rest of the time they're just trying to hit a Gwynn'esque .332 with the occasional bottom-of-the-8th 2-run single that allows Hoffman to come in for the save.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I get both mags...and although some of the non-features stuff in ESPN is nothing to be crazy about, I agree that some of their feature writing has been excellent lately, especially the piece on the NBA refereeing mess.

If you can look past the ESPN self-promotional BS, its usually a good read.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

All together now: Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

Draft saved Draft deleted