1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN The Mag Getting Overhaul

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I got it when it first came out and thought it was ok (that was pre-stu; he's awful in everything he tries). When I tried to cancel at the end of that. When I did they called and told me I could get it for like $1 a year or something, so I kept it again.

After that, I cancelled for good. When they called and offered me the mag almost for free (I guess to keep circulation numbers up) I simply said "I don't like your magazine and I don't want it."

Haven't missed it.

2. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I quit reading it when I discovered three fairly egregious errors that could have been corrected with just a little of work, all in the same issue. I remember two of them — confusing Jiri Hrdina with Jan Hrdina and confusing the tiny outpost of Buckhead out near Athens with the rather tony section of Atlanta by the same name. Not that Buckhead in Atlanta should ring any bells since ... well, I was going to go on a Ray Lewis diatribe, but screw it.
    I don't think I've read an ESPN the magazine in about five years. And I ain't missing it one bit.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This seems like as good a place to put this as any...a great take from Drew Magary on SportsCenter and its many problems. The question was about the generic music played with montages. Emphasis mine.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Got email that my ESPN.com Insider (and ESPN The Mag, an unwanted add-on) subscription was about to renew at annual $39.95 price.

Hit me this year that, while I've paid that in past, it felt too pricey this time. Truly throw the magazines immediately in recycling pile.

Called up to cancel. Was asked "Why?" Said "Price to value no good for me anymore."

Rep immediately knocked annual fee to $14.97. Next year will auto-renew at $39.95 again -- at which point I'll go through the same process.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's been maybe two years since, due to a fraud issue, I had to change my Amex number.

I never did update it with ESPN, yet I keep getting the mag and the Insider. Price ($0) is right.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From that NYT story:

<i>“This gives us the flexibility to be more of what we want to be,” said Gary Belsky, the magazine’s editor in chief. Content that is connected by a single topic, he said, “plays to the magazine mind.”</i>

Well, not this magazine reader's mind. What I love about SI, even if it's not quite as good as the old days, is that it still has a wide variety of stuff. Last week there was the story about the rescue mission in the Grand Tetons, for example. Totally unexpected and a great read. Those surprises have kept me coming back for 25 years.

When I see the ESPN "body" issue and others of that ilk, I'm not picking it up if I dislike the theme. And maybe there is a piece in there unrelated to the theme, but I'm not going to find out. They're telling me this is a One Topic Issue.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I subscribe in order to have Insider access.
    When The Mag arrives in the mail, it goes straight to the recycle bin. Sometimes I don't even read the cover headlines.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

They know that. They print around 2 million copies, all subscription, and they'd be happy to give you that subscription for a buck or two. The mag exists for the ad sales, and to promote the mothership. They're in the TV business. Everything else is nickel and dime window dressing.

An incredible waste of talent, given the names on that staff.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It is a waste because there is tremendous talent at that place and they do great work that nobody reads.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You know, wouldn't it be great if they had a website just loaded with amazing longform writing that showcased that talent??

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

So basically and already bad magazine is getting even worse???

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

ESPN - the entire, all-encompassing, all-platform company - is like the sun. A giant ball of fire that is consuming itself.

Draft saved Draft deleted