1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN The Mag Getting Overhaul

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The only reason I ever got The Mag was to read Buster's blog on the WWL's site. But, when I started pinching pennies I canceled.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'd thought about letting my subscription run out this year. But the one of the other magazines I subscribed to quit publishing and they switched the remaining term over to an extension of The Mag. There's been graphics packages with so much clutter, I had no idea what points they were trying to prove.

If it's just going to be a PR piece for the Net, I might just go ahead and cancel and see if I can get some money back. I'm not interested in that in any way shape or form.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This paragraph gave me pause:

"When they went to ESPN’s headquarters in Bristol, Conn., earlier this year to discuss the changes with ESPN executives, one thing came into focus. By producing topical editorial packages planned far in advance, the biweekly magazine could better coordinate its coverage with ESPN’s networks. "

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

There was a study a couple of years ago that asked whether ESPN the Magazine's coverage closely dovetailed with ESPN's holding of broadcast rights.

The (surprising) answer was, "No, not really."

I suspect that study might have a different result if repeated after these new changes take effect.

5. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Anecdotal, I know, but funny how 'NASCAR Tonight' reappeared once ESPN began broadcasting NASCAR again, and the NHL show disappeared when hockey went to Versus.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or soccer scores miraculously showing up on Sports Center and articles on soccer appearing in the mag

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I hope one of the changes will be shrinking it to 8 1/2 by 11 format. In tabloid format, it's so heavy and so tough to hold in one hand that I find myself rushing through it (some of the lengthy features, like the one in the current issue on Aaron Rodgers, are actually pretty good) just so I can put the damn thing down.

But yeah, if I didn't get it free as an ESPN Insider, I wouldn't bother reading it.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The writing is well worth the subscription IMO. All but one writer, anyway ... she really needs to stick with the short takes and name-dropping. Otherwise, top-notch writing.

Let the graphics people do more stuff for SportsCenter and ESPNews. The attempt at style is hurting the substance.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Never thought of this particular mag as one I'd want to "read" in one hand. :p

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I paid $4 a year for a two year subscription so I can get Insider.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I probably could have worded that differently.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

When a league makes a deal with a network, the contract usually includes ancillary programming, as well as almost unlimited use of footage. That's part of the deal that a league wants.

Conversely, if you don't have a deal with the league, it's extremely difficult to do television shows when you only have limited use of video.

Draft saved Draft deleted